You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-16 16:35:33

NuSkool

Xfce Desktop Icon Problems Using startxfce4

On a two day old Arch Xfce install (installed via Arch wiki install guide), I was having pretty well documented issues with the desktop icons before I set up xinit.. I'm using no DM and perfer to have the option to use startxfce4.

Edit to add information per FlowIt suggestion:

The problem was any added incos, other than the options selelctabe in the Desktop Settings options would error out with:

Failed to run "whatever"
Process org.xfce.FileManager exited with status 1

End Edits

I'm pretty sure the problem has been resolved as long as you set up and use xinitrc and startx. The problem revolved around sourcing  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh.

I didn't see any solutions for using startxfce4, and the Arch xfce wiki recommends to not use startxfce4.

I have edited /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc, so it sources /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh so I can use startxfce4. The sourcing must be placed in the proper location within the file as below. Added to line 90 of:  /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

source /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh. 

Most probably, going by line numbers won't always work, so I'll put up a small sample, with line numbers added indicating where I put it.

/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

87 # load local modmap
88 test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
90 source /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh
92 # run xfce4-session if installed
93 if which xfce4-session >/dev/null 2>&1; then

I've tested by rebooting, using both startxfce4 and startx, and it seems to work fine. Although, startx did work fine from the beginng after setting up .xinitrc.

My question is, is or will this possibly be a problem in some situations now, or when things get updated?

Last edited by NuSkool (2016-10-20 00:50:09)

#2 2016-10-16 18:00:08

FlowIt

Re: Xfce Desktop Icon Problems Using startxfce4

You haven't described which issues you have with desktop icons.
Where is it recommended not to use startxfce? In https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Starting_Xfce I find

Note: Do not call the xfce4-session executable directly; startxfce4 is the correct command which, in turn, calls the former when appropriate.

I am sure editing /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc is just working around the real issue, but solving this is only possible if you provide information about the issue itself, not your "solution". (Altough it is great you started on your own)

#3 2016-10-16 18:37:58

NuSkool

OK, edited op.

The quote you posted from the wiki is what I misread as don't use startxfce4.

Last edited by NuSkool (2016-10-16 18:39:37)

#4 2016-10-18 19:34:46

FlowIt

Your solution was nearly correct. Don't edit /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc but create your own .xinitrc in your home directory with the following contents:

source /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh. 
exec startxfce4

And all your other additions you want/need. Start with startx (this is what you already did I guess and what worked). This is the recommended way.
The problem with your solution is that the file you edited will be overwritten with every update of xfce4-session.

#5 2016-10-19 01:57:40

NuSkool

Thanks FlowIt.

Yea, I know about setting up .xinitrc, and already had it setup. I wanted to have the option to use either startx or startxfce4. I did a bit more checking things out after my first post. I discovered that using startxfce4 on my system is broke. It works, but not without some issues.

Starting with startxfce4, no MIT MAGIC COOKIE was created, along with a few missing env variables and a systemd variable. I tried to "band-aid" startxfce4 to try to learn something.

This where I left off before moving on.

Adding "source /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh." to /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc.

Adding "export GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module" and "export XAUTHORITY=/home/tom/.Xauthority"  to .bashrc

I tried adding "xauth generate :0 ." to a few different files to create the magic cookie with no luck. Thats where I stopped. I need to look into the differences between how startx and startxfce4 work, but I was getting in over my head.

I was duplicating the settings below, that I got when running under startx. I'm still not sure if startxfce4 needs fixed upstream, or if my system is borked up somehow.

$ env | grep -e XAUTHORITY -e DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0.0
XAUTHORITY=/home/tom/.Xauthority

$ systemctl --user show-environment | grep -e XAUTHORITY -e DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0
XAUTHORITY=/home/tom/.Xauthority

$ xauth list
Arch2014p9/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456abc

$ xauth info
Authority file:       /home/tom/.Xauthority
File new:             no
File locked:          no
Number of entries:    1
Changes honored:      yes
Changes made:         no
Current input:        (argv):1

Last edited by NuSkool (2016-10-20 00:51:32)

Board footer