You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-18 22:50:55

nbd

Streaming audio from Windows machine to Arch

I saw that many users on this forum mentioned that they also use Windows in their home or office environment. Maybe someone can advise a good working solution how to setup an Arch machine as a sound server and to stream to it all sound from a Windows machine (from all programs; something like a network transparent sound driver). I have found several solutions but all of them are so outdated and unmaintained from long ago  that I hope there is a more or less standard solution keeped up-to-date. (liveincode is long unmaintained, WinESD is long unmaintained, pulseaudio Windows binaries are built in 2011). Did someone tried Jack or IceCast?

bing different

#2 2016-10-21 13:50:01

spencer_brown

Re: Streaming audio from Windows machine to Arch

I think the simplest thing might be using vlc.  You can use the built in capture and stream tools.

#3 2016-10-21 23:41:05

nbd

Re: Streaming audio from Windows machine to Arch

spencer_brown:

Thanks for the advise! I installed VLC and it streams individual files excellently. Though I still haven't managed to configure it to stream all sound. On the "Capture" tab it shows in the list of audio devices (for DirectShow mode) only "default"and "none". After selecting "default" and clicking OK it shows an error message that it hasn't found any capturable devices. I guess that's because that machine doesn't have any cameras, microphons, etc.

VLC itself unfortunately officially doesn't have any documentation ("lack of technical writers"). And wiki was unhelpful on that issue. So will still be looking into how to capture and stream with VLC all sound from a machine.

bing different

Board footer