You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-21 23:02:11

Nono3167

[SOLVED] KDE 5.8 stuck after login (splash screen)

Hi everyone.

I am currently running KDE Plasma 5.7.5 and noticed a few days ago that 5.8 was released and available.
I tried to upgrade my system with a pacman -Syu.

When I restarted my computer, I noticed the new SDDM breeze theme (quite nice btw).
I typed my password and try to login.
After that, I arrive on the splash screen with the big KDE logo and a loading wheel, and then after a few seconds, the wheel stops and nothing happens.

I have tried leaving it for 10-15 minutes and nothing happened so I assume something is wrong.

Does anyone have the same issue or an idea on how to fix it ?
I don't really know what logs to look at so feel free to ask for specific log files to investigate.

By downgrading all the packages that were modified by my pacman -Syu, I managed to retrieve a usable desktop environment (in 5.7.5) but I still want to upgrade eventually...

Regards

Last edited by Nono3167 (2016-11-30 20:11:58)

#2 2016-10-22 08:38:13

ChemBro

Re: [SOLVED] KDE 5.8 stuck after login (splash screen)

I had it once, hit enter and it was gone. Dunno.

#3 2016-10-22 08:55:39

micsnare

Hi,

I have a similar problem after upgrading...
I can no longer boot with my external monitors plugged in (HDMI and VGA), instead I need to unplug my cables first, and then boot, and after logging into KDE I can replug my cables in.
Sounds weird....
but everything else before that (grub, etc...) works fine, so it must be my plasma settings. It didn't occur before the upgrade.
Btw: I'm using LightDM: (Greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter)

When I leave my cables plugged in, all I can see is a black screen sad

#4 2016-11-05 11:09:37

Nono3167

Not sure it's related as in my case, I have a black screen with the KDE logo and a spinning wheel (that actually stops spinning).

Thanks for sharing your experience with dualscreen screen issue, I'll try to boot without my second screen just to check.

But before that I want to add a few things :
I have just tried again to upgrade my whole system (I downgraded after posting on the forum).
I have found a way to actually login my system but it's a bit strange. I have to :
- Start the machine
- Select my kernel in grub (I am using the current linux-lts 4.4.30-1. I have tried with the latest linux 4.8 but no luck, same issue)
- When I am on SDDM, I go to my second tty, login the tty and type this to remove the .config folder (without executing !)

$rm -r .config/

- Back on SDDM, I type my password and press the Connect button
- Once I see the KDE logo and the spinning wheel, I quickly switch back to tty2 and execute the rm command.

Going through this procedure, I manage to log into my system (although with all settings lost).
From there, if I try to reboot, I get stuck again on the splashscreen unless and redo the process for deleting .config while logging in.

If I remove the .config/ folder before typing my password and pressing Connect on SDDM, I still get stuck and cannot login.

I assume that one of the first files KDE is generating for the .config is causing the issue but I don't really know which one.

Edit : I tried to boot without my second screen connected but I still end up stuck on the kde logo screen

Edit 2 : Actually I did a bit more testing today and it seems that merely the fact of going to tty2 for a few seconds (without removing any file) is enough to let me connect into my desktop. Unfortunately I don't manage to login everytime. Maybe there's a precise timing between moving to tty2 and back to sddm that I haven't found.

Last edited by Nono3167 (2016-11-06 19:59:06)

#5 2016-11-30 20:11:28

Nono3167

It seems that the issue fixed itself, probably by one of the few updates that occured since.

Thanks everyone, topic closed.

Board footer