You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 08:46:01

guagno333

Chromium - libvpx.so.3 not found, I got libvpx.so.4

Hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with chromium: today I had to reinstall it, and after reinstalling it I got the following problem:

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libvpx.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I looked into /usr/lib to find out that I have libvpx.so.4, so at the moment I fixed the problem by symlinking libvpx.so.3 to libvpx.so.4. I know that this is wrong, but I need chromium, and I'd like to ask how can I fix the problem in a good way.

Thanks in advance

#2 2016-10-24 09:08:44

basica

Re: Chromium - libvpx.so.3 not found, I got libvpx.so.4

Have you run pacman -Syu lately?

[basica@arch-desktop ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libvpx.so.4
/usr/lib/libvpx.so.4 is owned by libvpx 1.6.0-2

EDIT: Misread your post, you have 4 but need 3.

I would still check to see if you've done a full update, see below. My version of chromium is rightly looking for version 4. Perhaps others might have some more suggestions.

[basica@arch-desktop ~]$ ldd /usr/lib/chromium/chromium  | grep libvpx
	libvpx.so.4 => /usr/lib/libvpx.so.4 (0x00007fee37102000)
[basica@arch-desktop ~]$ pacman -Qs chromium
local/chromium 54.0.2840.71-1
    The open-source project behind Google Chrome, an attempt at creating a safer, faster, and more stable browser

Last edited by basica (2016-10-24 09:15:35)

#3 2016-10-24 09:34:58

seth

What repo do you install chromium from when "re-installing" it?

#4 2016-10-24 09:51:07

guagno333

I think that I had some problem with my mirrorlist. My chromium version was version 52, not 54, and when I was running pacman -Syu I had a lot of "is newer than" warnings.

I changed my mirrorlist and I just launched pacman -Syu, and apparently I have a lot of updates behind. I'll keep you updated smile

EDIT: obviously I got error with ruby-rspec-core for file existing in file system, I'll try to solve that later smile

Last edited by guagno333 (2016-10-24 10:10:17)

#5 2016-10-24 10:15:26

basica

guagno333 wrote:

..when I was running pacman -Syu I had a lot of "is newer than" warnings.

You really shouldn't ignore those warnings for future reference. As a result you could have potentially gave yourself a really screwed up system.

#6 2016-10-24 10:42:51

guagno333

basica wrote:
guagno333 wrote:

..when I was running pacman -Syu I had a lot of "is newer than" warnings.

You really shouldn't ignore those warnings for future reference. As a result you could have potentially gave yourself a really screwed up system.

Oh, really? I had no idea, I just thought that my repos were in some way obsolete... At the moment, I forced an update with pacman -Syu --force and for now everything is looking good, but I haven't used the system a lot. What should I do in case a warning like that appears again? I'm really a newbie about windows system, I have been using windows for maybe 15-20 years smile

#7 2016-10-24 11:21:27

basica

guagno333 wrote:

Oh, really? I had no idea, I just thought that my repos were in some way obsolete... At the moment, I forced an update with pacman -Syu --force and for now everything is looking good, but I haven't used the system a lot. What should I do in case a warning like that appears again? I'm really a newbie about windows system, I have been using windows for maybe 15-20 years smile

Any time you come across an error or a warning, search the forums and/or google. Chances are you'll get a lot of relevant results. For example, one of the top results when doing a google search for your warnings message when updating says that the user had a mirror problem. A google search also says to avoid doing a pacman -Syu --force.. wink

I would also pay attention to when you are running pacman to make sure you're keeping on top of your pacnew files that are generated (for things like your mirrorlist in particular). In fact it might be worthwhile running a pacdiff now to see if anything pops up...

Aside from that, since the issue was with a system that was not properly kept up to date please mark this thread as solved so it might help someone else doing a search.

#8 2016-10-24 12:17:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

guagno333 wrote:

What should I do in case a warning like that appears again?

That exact error - update your mirrorlist.  You may want to try `reflector` which will help you chose good mirrors.

For other errors: search, learn, and ask for help if needed.  The --force flag for pacman is very rarely a solution to problems, but it is often the cause.  This is especially true when used for a full system update.  Never do `pacman -Syu ---force`.  There are *very rare* occasions where forcing a single package may be necessary - but if you don't know exactly what you are doing and why, then don't even use --force for a single package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer