You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 17:53:22

titaniumbones

skylake power issues (Lenovo T440s)

Hi,
I have just bought a Lenovo T440s with an NVMe hard drive. I've installed Arch from scratch and imported some of my old user settings, but I've made almost no modifications to /etc. My power consumption seems very high, and I get about 2.5 hours of run time. I have a recent intel i7 processor (i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz), as well as what seems to be a problematic intel sound card and a realtek card reader that used to be poorly supported; the wireless card is an intel 8260, which I would thin would be well-supported.  The sound card seems to be in use 100% of the time, as is iwlwifi (according to powertop). Those seem like they would be low-hanging fruit, but I haven't been able to change their behaviour. 

I've run

powertop --auto-tune

with no real changes.  The installed kernel is

4.8.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMP

If folks have any ideas for further diagnostics or methods for improvement, I would appreciate them. Thanks!

#2 2016-10-24 21:06:29

titaniumbones

Re: skylake power issues (Lenovo T440s)

installing the linux-nvme kernel from AUR seems to have helped somewhat, though my numbers still aren't great (~9 W power usage, or 4-5 hours of active time).

#3 2016-10-24 22:51:56

frank604

There really insn't a one stop shop for power saving management in linux.  You could study vodik's powersaving settings https://github.com/vodik/powersave/  and modify to your system as well as reach the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management.  Also, I'm not sure what battery you have.  The T440s have a 3cell (23.2 watt hour) and 6 cell (72 watt hour) optional external and a 3cell internal no?  Hard to gauge if you are hitting close to proper battery life without knowing about your battery.  You could alternatively use TLP to set up some power saving. 

Run iotop and htop to see what activity is going on in your system to ensure no run aways.  During your battery tests, what are you doing?  What brightness?  Web browsing only? 4-5 hours of active time can mean a world of a difference if one person is compiling for 4-5 hours or just listening to music for 4-5 hours.  Feel free to re-approach this situation after doing some necessary reading on the links I've provided.

Also, what battery life are you hoping to achieve?  Don't go for the advertised hours but rather read on what other people have gotten on their tests.  I find that advertised battery life is far fetched.  Good luck!

#4 2016-10-25 11:25:42

titaniumbones

@frank604, thank you for those lnks. I'll read the wiki more carefully, and the vodik looks particularly helpful. 

I wasn't able to choose the 6-cell 72WH so I only have the 25WH 3-cell internal. Before installing the nvme kernel I was seeing ~22W power consumption, which was giving something like 2.5 hour battery life. Now I am at more like double that, which makes a big difference. I'll see how far up I can go.

Board footer