You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-02 14:28:09

Wimukthi

Removing Gnome and Installing KDE

Hello, didnt know exactly where to put this. I'm not completely new to Arch but I am to the forums.

I have gnome installed. I want to remove it and install KDE instead. (getting a bit bored with gnome) What i want to know is how to do it safely as possible without hurting the other packages; wine, libreoffice, vlc, chrome and other important system stuff for example; and install KDE. Also whether its actually easier and safer to do a complete format and reinstall of arch. While this is a bit more cumbersome, i don't mind reinstalling, kind of fun really. But, its very much better if i could do it without formatting entirely.

Thanks guys.

#2 2016-11-02 14:45:39

Morn

Re: Removing Gnome and Installing KDE

pacman -Rs gnome gnome-extras
pacman -S plasma

should work I think.

#3 2016-11-02 14:47:28

morphheus

You don't need to uninstall gnome to install KDE. Desktop environments behave well when when installed on the same machine, as only one is ever active at the same time.

Here, if you want to install KDE, you should look at the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Installation

Once you're done, you simply have to log out of your current session and select the desktop environment of your choice before logging back in.

If you insist on uninstalling gnome, you will need to remove all gnome-related packages via pacman, as Morn recommended.

#4 2016-11-02 23:58:16

igor

Last time I tried to uninstall gnome with ('Pacman -Rsn gnome', I think) I ended up uninstalling important dependencies... the system failed to load the greeter.

#5 2016-11-03 08:57:27

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

You uninstalled gdm but didn't disable the service, most likely.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer