You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-10 16:41:37

stabwound

Firefox high CPU usage at all times, even in safe mode

I have a Thinkpad T460s and I'm having extreme trouble with Firefox. In particular, Firefox-Aurora. I'm running the latest kernel and i3wm.

No matter what, my Firefox process is always grinding away at 10-20% even with 1 tab, and after using it for a while, it goes up to 50-60% and basically stays there, even when idle and no flash or video is playing.

I tried safe mode, disabling hardware acceleration, and nothing makes a single bit of difference. It absolutely destroys my battery life to the point that I don't even want to run this machine on the battery anymore.

Any clue what I might try to fix this or debug the problem?

#2 2016-11-10 18:52:49

Drehstromlampe

Re: Firefox high CPU usage at all times, even in safe mode

what about the firefox from the archlinux repo?

#3 2016-11-10 20:26:37

SayCheeseOrDie

I've checked from the Arch repo, and results are very frustrating.

First of all, Youtube video in 720@60. After watching the exect same video, Chrome eating around 0,6 GB RAM, when Firefox is around 1 Gb (!).
Please keep in mind that I've just measured the delta btw RAM consumpting before starting browser and after starting it and finishing certain tasks. That include some services that also starting with each browser (process called "Web Content" w/Firefox etc.).
While playing, CPU load (same video) in Chrome is around 50-60%, when in FIrefox this number is 80-90%. Also, Firefox performs very slow in pretty much every task (opening browser tab, searching from adress bar etc). And yup, I have AdBlock installed in both browsers and that's about it. Chrome I've installed from AUR (google-chrome-dev). Nothing was re-configured under-the-hood of both browsers.

Yes, I have very slow AMD APU (E2-6110), but there is still something wrong with Firefox.

What I'm about... Oh yes, haven't you tried any other browser? This Firefox issue might be related to specific hardware (like mine).

P.S.: I want to make sure that no one misunderstood what I wrote above. I'm not promoting or criticising any piece of software, I'm only talking about my personal experience and how can it be related to this issue.

Last edited by SayCheeseOrDie (2016-11-10 20:33:02)

#4 2016-11-10 20:54:16

Drehstromlampe

SayCheeseOrDie wrote:

I've checked from the Arch repo, and results are very frustrating.

First of all, Youtube video in 720@60. After watching the exect same video, Chrome eating around 0,6 GB RAM, when Firefox is around 1 Gb (!).
Please keep in mind that I've just measured the delta btw RAM consumpting before starting browser and after starting it and finishing certain tasks. That include some services that also starting with each browser (process called "Web Content" w/Firefox etc.).
While playing, CPU load (same video) in Chrome is around 50-60%, when in FIrefox this number is 80-90%. Also, Firefox performs very slow in pretty much every task (opening browser tab, searching from adress bar etc). And yup, I have AdBlock installed in both browsers and that's about it. Chrome I've installed from AUR (google-chrome-dev). Nothing was re-configured under-the-hood of both browsers.

Yes, I have very slow AMD APU (E2-6110), but there is still something wrong with Firefox.

What I'm about... Oh yes, haven't you tried any other browser? This Firefox issue might be related to specific hardware (like mine).

P.S.: I want to make sure that no one misunderstood what I wrote above. I'm not promoting or criticising any piece of software, I'm only talking about my personal experience and how can it be related to this issue.

I think you're addressing a different issue here.
yes, firefox consumes tons of memory.
AFAIK: chrome performs better because it opens a new thread for each tab. firefox doesn't do that. that's why it has worse performance

but again, your problem has nothing to do with the thread topic

Last edited by Drehstromlampe (2016-11-10 20:55:01)

#5 2016-11-10 21:38:09

seth

stabwound wrote:

Any clue what I might try to fix this or debug the problem?

valgrind, callgrind in particular.

You might first check whether the problem also occurs w/ a new profile. And check the gtk style/theme (could be a layout race)

#6 2016-11-14 16:55:06

stabwound

I made a completely new profile and the problem seemed to be okay for a bit, but it's back to doing it again. Then I try chromium and it's perfectly fine.

I've been using Firefox since it was Mozilla, and I've just about had it. As much as I hate Google and everything they do, maybe it's time to compile that Ungoogled-Chromium variant. Or go 3rd party and try Opera. Just sick of these issues.

Board footer