You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-29 23:29:14

Kragen

Icons [Solved]

I was wondering if someone could explain how icons work in linux (in general), I'm using xfce4 with nautilus as my desktop / filebrowser, I'd like to change the icons, but before I go about messing things up I wondered what the "proper" way to go about doing things would be - so that both gnome & xfce app's figured out what icons to use (if there is a proper way).

#2 2006-05-29 23:43:11

augustob

Re: Icons [Solved]

Someone once drew a nice diagram showing what was your desktop environment, what was your window manager, and what was your GUI toolkit. I don't have it with me but if someone posts it that'd be nice. The icon theme is a GUI toolkit setting.

Basically, if you're using mainly GTK apps (Gnome and XFCE), you should worry about setting the icons there. Edit your ~/.gtkrc.mine adding this:

gtk-icon-theme-name="Gion"

Substituting "Gion" by the icon theme you'd like to use.

Where does it look for icon themes, you might ask! Well, there's the user-controlled ~/.icons and the system-wide /usr/share/icons.

If you wanna test this all out, do a quick

pacman -S tango-icon-theme

And add

gtk-icon-theme-name="Tango"

to your ~/.gtkrc.mine! Launch any app that (properly) uses GTK and the icons will all be from Tango.

Enjoy!

#3 2006-05-30 00:10:46

Kragen

thanks - think I understand things a little better now smile

#4 2006-05-30 00:13:31

augustob

Keep in mind that editing these files by hand is only necessary if your desktop environment doesn't provide a graphical solution. I've never really used XFCE but I'm quite certain it does.

If so, just keep in mind where to unpack your icon sets, and you're all good.

Any further questions, just ask and someone will help ya  wink

Board footer