You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-13 21:36:27

harshad1

Poor UI performance with native Wayland applications on gnome shell

Hello all,

I am currently running gnome shell with Wayland on my Asus Zenbook laptop (3200x1800 screen, intel m3-6y30 processor, 8gb ram) and I am encountering application performance issues.

Many applications appear to display extremely poor performance when scrolling / resizing. For example, if I resize a nautilus window via corner-drag, the window will wait several 100ms seconds to respond. Scrolling within applications is similarly impacted. The epiphany browser especially is nearly unusable.

Non gtk3 / wayland applications (i.e. xwayland applications) appear to behave normally with acceptable performance (I used looking glass to determine xwayland vs native wayland).

The gnome shell itself is quite smooth (overview animation, scrolling etc).

I currently do not have xf86-video-intel installed, but doing so has no impact on this issue.Any help diagnosing or solving the problem would be much appreciated.

I am attaching a screen recording showing the problem: the screen recording has impacted the speed somewhat, but not very much so.

https://youtu.be/YyVKw4CTq6I

Thank you
Harshad

#2 2016-11-13 22:59:09

harshad1

Re: Poor UI performance with native Wayland applications on gnome shell

I have just discovered that reducing the resolution to 2048 x 1152 or lower completely alleviates the problem.
The jump in performance from 2560 x 1440 down to this resolution is quite remarkable.

Board footer