You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-14 21:12:55

codedmart

[SOLVED] Integrated intel graphics quit working after last upgrade?

Can I actually rollback my entire upgrade somehow? I have a Macbook Pro 11,5 with Ati(discrete)/Intel(integrated). I just installed Arch last week and had the the discrete Ati card turned off via vgaswitcheroo and was using the intel card. I don't have xf86-video-ati install and have i915 in the modules. After this last upgrade which seemed to have a new kernel and new intel driver I no longer can use the intel graphics. I have tried downgrading the kernel and the intel driver but I still have the problem. So I am not sure what to do from here?

[EDIT 11/15/16]
I am using gpu_switch in osx to set the integrated card for the next boot, and apple_set_os when booting. I am not 100% sure yet what happened, but was able to get my intel card working again. I will try and post more information if I figure out what the glitch was.
[EDIT]

Last edited by codedmart (2016-11-15 16:03:12)

#2 2016-11-15 13:17:54

mrunion
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Integrated intel graphics quit working after last upgrade?

Welcome to the forums.

For starters, maybe some more explanation to what exactly is happening. The statement "I no longer can use intel graphics" isn't a clear enough picture of what is happening to know how to start providing help.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2016-11-15 13:34:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Note that a lot of intel graphics users have ditched the intel driver in favor of the built in modesetting driver.  Modesetting used to be a "fallback" used only if no other driver was available.  But recently the modesetting driver has been able to get pretty good performance itself - and meanwhile the intel driver has been collecting a growing variety of bugs and known issues.

There are some cases where keeping the intel x11 driver would be worthwhile, but just keep the option of getting rid of it in mind if it is a hassle.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-11-15 16:00:55

codedmart

@mrunion Thanks for the welcome to the forums. You are right I need to provide more information.

@Tribly so are you saying just use the intel driver for X/Wayland, but let the built in modesetting driver handle that? Or don't use the intel driver at all? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying?

In any event I feel like this is related to how Apple handles graphics cards in Bios (while booting). I am using the apple_set_os trick when booting. I am not 100% sure what I did yet (still investigating), but I was able to get it working again. I am marking this as solved I guess, but I will need to try and get more precise information in here as to what happened and how it is fixed in case anyone else looks at this thread.

Thanks

#5 2016-11-15 16:58:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I was suggesting that not using the intel driver at all is an option.  You can removed the xf86-video-intel package (and make sure and xorg conf files for intel settings are removed) then Xorg will use the modesetting driver which is built in to the kernel in order to use the intel hardware.  I don't know if this would be a great option for your circumstances, but it is an option.  I have two laptops with intel graphics, and I'm using just the modesetting driver on both.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer