You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-15 08:14:54

darrensadr

how to keep up with upgrades

so i just upgraded my system and realized my xterm config was not loading properly from .Xresources.

i randomly figured out that i must now use `xterm` (lowercase) instead of `XTerm` in .Xresources.

i checked the changelog but did not find anything about this change. granted, i did not put in a lot of focus into reading it.

for future reference, how should i actually go about solving issues like this and generally dealing with the upgrade aftermath?

#2 2016-11-15 09:16:42

olive

Re: how to keep up with upgrades

For me, xterm works with resources like this:

XTerm.VT100.saveLines: 500

as it has always done.
For the more general question,there is no general answer. Basically, if something doesn't work; google it to find the solution.

#3 2016-11-15 09:21:19

headkase

olive wrote:

For me, xterm works with resources like this:

XTerm.VT100.saveLines: 500

as it has always done.
For the more general question,there is no general answer. Basically, if something doesn't work; google it to find the solution.

Also, don't bother with the forum search function.  It's, well, a piece of something any way.  Instead use Google's site: parameter.  Do: "site:bbs.archlinux.org Search Terms" and let Google do its magic.  Also, you can search as often as you want with Google compared to a time-out here with the built-in search.

#4 2016-11-15 09:26:48

ewaller
Administrator

headkase wrote:

Also, you can search as often as you want with Google compared to a time-out here with the built-in search.

Although ...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218129

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-11-15 09:35:41

olive

headkase wrote:

Also, don't bother with the forum search function.  It's, well, a piece of something any way.  Instead use Google's site: parameter.  Do: "site:bbs.archlinux.org Search Terms" and let Google do its magic.  Also, you can search as often as you want with Google compared to a time-out here with the built-in search.

Usually, I find a plain Google search without "site:" better. Quite often, I found the solution either on an external website or even within the web page of another distribution (many problems are not specific to AnrchLinux). What I use often is searching within a restricted time in order to dismiss antiquated problems.

#6 2016-11-15 10:56:11

headkase

ewaller wrote:
headkase wrote:

Also, you can search as often as you want with Google compared to a time-out here with the built-in search.

Although ...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218129

Very nice.  I've been around the block now a while so I don't depend as much on search.  When I did depend on it though the old forum limit was an obstacle. wink

#7 2016-11-15 14:19:20

seth

darrensadr wrote:

i randomly figured out that i must now use `xterm` (lowercase) instead of `XTerm` in .Xresources.

Which line in particular? X11 resources are case sensitive ever since. XTerm refers to a class, xterm to an instance. I'm not saying ebkac, but this is more likely due to your specific resource file(s) than a recent change. "xterm" is more precise and will shadow "XTerm" settings (which could eg. be passed via the xrm switch or whatever)

#8 2016-11-15 14:26:47

philo

When using Google for a search, I do:
"arch linux <search terms>"
which also brings answers from the Wiki.

Last edited by philo (2016-11-15 14:49:31)

#9 2016-11-15 14:53:52

drcouzelis
Website

darrensadr wrote:

for future reference, how should i actually go about solving issues like this and generally dealing with the upgrade aftermath?

Step #1... Update frequently, to keep the number of updates low. The fewer the updates, the easier it is to know where the issue is!

Step #2... Before the update, ask yourself, "If something breaks when I do this update, do I have time afterwards to fix it before I NEED to use my computer again?" If the answer is no (for example, you need to work on homework) then DON'T update!

Step #3... If something breaks, just reinstall the previous version of the package. The package is still on your computer in the pacman cache. It's SUPER simple!

Step #4... Whenever you have time, try to resolve the issue by reading changelogs, bug reports, and the Arch Linux forums.

...but 99%, updating my computer doesn't break anything. How boring. sad

WHERE'S THE BLOOD IN MY BLEEDING EDGE???

#10 2016-11-15 18:37:24

philo

drcouzelis wrote:

...99%, updating my computer doesn't break anything. How boring

The remaining 1% is definitely not boring, I can assure you.

Last edited by philo (2016-11-15 18:39:43)

#11 2016-11-15 19:29:23

darrensadr

seth wrote:
darrensadr wrote:

Which line in particular? X11 resources are case sensitive ever since. XTerm refers to a class, xterm to an instance. I'm not saying ebkac, but this is more likely due to your specific resource file(s) than a recent change. "xterm" is more precise and will shadow "XTerm" settings (which could eg. be passed via the xrm switch or whatever)

This is my current .Xresources:

xterm*foreground: #EEEEEE
xterm*background: #000000
xterm*faceName: Ubuntu Mono
xterm*faceSize: 12
xterm*cursorBlink: true

before it was the same thing but with `XTerm` instead.

checking the logs the upgrade was from patch 325 to 327.

checking the changelog there is a mention of an update to the appdata file for #326, but not further details are provided.

this is really where i was stuck, i did not know how to find further information on this particular change.

xterm devs also seem to not be using version control, so there is no `git log` either.

#12 2016-11-16 09:42:32

rokidakota

darrensadr wrote:

so i just upgraded my system and realized my xterm config was not loading properly from .Xresources.

Thank you for posting this. My terminal was suddenly unreadable and I had no idea why. Xft stays upper case? I'll give it a try...

Board footer