You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-25 22:52:53

DCengineer

Upgrade to SSD

Hello all,

I have recently ordered an SSD for my Toshiba Satellite laptop, which currently has an HDD. My configuration is fairly complicated, and I intend to use the hardware encryption provided in the new drive. Here are the questions I have...

• What parts of the root (@) subvolume can be safely transferred? If possible, I would like to copy all of my installed applications and most of my current configuration over. For instance, I would like to keep my current subvolume layout. Basically, I want to create a new /boot, mkinitcpio, and fstab, but leave all of the userspace applications and systemctl services in their current state.

• I want to install the new system, but leave everything userspace-related the same. Is this possible?

• Would it be better to "nuke it from orbit?" In other words: reinstall everything, and copy only the configuration files I need?

#2 2016-11-26 08:29:42

Roken

Re: Upgrade to SSD

When I switched I simply rsync cloned the spinner to the SSD and fixed up grub and /etc/fstab to boot from it. No problems at all.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#3 2016-11-26 08:45:46

DCengineer

The difference is that my current system uses software encryption while my new one will use hardware encryption. This means that my new configuration will not use LVM or a separate /boot partition. The reason I asked this question is because I'm not just doing a simple "copy everything" operation. I will be changing things that are normally only changed during installation.

#4 2016-11-26 10:17:12

frostschutz

> This means that my new configuration will not use LVM or a separate /boot partition.

That's fine, you can change your partitions, layout, filesystems, etc. everything as you see fit. Reinstalling from scratch because of such changes is usually not necessary.

In a live environment, mount your old stuff to /mnt/old/ - same as you'd do when chrooting into it, but leave out proc sys dev shm run.

Create the new structure as you see fit and mount it to /mnt/new/

And then just rsync -a /mnt/old/. /mnt/new/.

Or if not rsync do something similar with btrfs send - I'm not familiar with btrfs so I can't advise here.

Suppose your old structure had filesystems in /mnt/old/{boot,var,opt} and the new one has /mnt/new/{home}, things will still end up in the right place - provided there is enough room for all the files.

Once the system is copied then you can mount dev proc sys stuff to /mnt/new/ and chroot into it and fixer upper your bootloader, fstab and other configs and see if it boots.

Of course if you want to make a clean new fresh install no matter what you can do that too. It's up to you.

Board footer