You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-26 02:03:49

sheodox

[SOLVED] Unable to boot after installing on Virtualbox

This is my first time trying Arch, I've been following the installation guide on the wiki and have tried going through it from start to finish several times fixing some mistakes I've made. I'm installing on a Virtualbox VM on a Windows 10 host with UEFI enabled and using systemd-boot. After doing the boot loader step and then rebooting I get a flash of "Not A Secure Boot Platform 14" then it brings me to the boot device selection where my only real option is to go back into the live iso.

I have ~60 gigs partitioned between /dev/sda1, and my boot partition is /dev/sda2.  I have the boot entry pointing to the PARTUUID of /dev/sda1 from the blkid command listed on the systemd-boot wiki page.

Is there any obvious thing I'm doing wrong or what other information is needed?

Last edited by sheodox (2016-11-26 03:12:13)

#2 2016-11-26 02:11:58

headkase

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to boot after installing on Virtualbox

I'm also running Arch as a guest on a Windows 10 host.  Virtualbox does say to not use UEFI mode unless you have a very good reason.  I'm booting it in BIOS mode and everything is working fine.

A tip for a good guest: Use LXDE and combine it with virtualbox's "seamless" mode.  An Arch guest is great that way.  The important part about LXDE is that it uses openbox for its window manager.  Openbox has no frills like compositing or transparencies and such.  So when you go into seamless then it's just fast.

#3 2016-11-26 02:52:28

sheodox

Thank you headkase! Tried it again with bios boot using GRUB and it worked, I should have asked earlier!

#4 2016-11-26 03:01:38

headkase

Right on, you're welcome!  smile

Don't forget to mark your thread as solved by editing the first post and putting "[Solved]" without the quotes at the beginning of the title.  wink

#5 2016-11-26 03:01:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2016-11-26 08:05:55

Texbrew

headkase wrote:

A tip for a good guest: Use LXDE and combine it with virtualbox's "seamless" mode.  An Arch guest is great that way.  The important part about LXDE is that it uses openbox for its window manager.  Openbox has no frills like compositing or transparencies and such.  So when you go into seamless then it's just fast.

Question for you, headkase. Why LXDE? I used it briefly a couple of years ago when I first installed Arch in VirtualBox. Being unfamiliar with the OpenBox style menus back then, I replaced LXDE with XFCE4.

Later, I created another Arch VM with OpenBox, grew to like it so much that I chose it for my multiple hardware installs. I will have to give LXDE another look.

Your comment about VirtualBox Seamless mode prompted me to look it up, and at first glance it looks like it could be a useful feature.

Although I first installed Virtualbox on a Windows host more than 6 years ago, I no longer use Windows and haven't used it in at least 3 years. Not long after I discovered the wonderful world of linux, I replaced that machine's Windows hard drive and installed a linux OS on the new drive. Silly me, I was afraid I'd find something I couldn't do without Windows.

Nowadays my Virtualbox VM's run in linux hosts. It satisfies my occasional urge to distro hop without having to do a hardware install.

tex

#7 2016-11-26 23:36:36

headkase

It's not so much LXDE but rather it is more Openbox, LXDE just happens to use Openbox.  Openbox handles the windows, and in Virtualbox's seamless mode that means that when you drag windows around they are pretty-well native speed.  Openbox doesn't do any fancy effects and in virtualization those fancy effects slow things down.  For best results set your desktop to a black colour no picture.

If you use the full-desktop mode, not seamless, then when you're dragging windows around there is a bit of lag.  In seamless, with Openbox, nice and smooth.

Edit: and sometimes seamless doesn't take, not often but sometimes.  In that case just hold right-control and press L to switch back to full desktop then again to go back to seamless.  Sometimes while on full desktop I'll open the menu then switch back to seamless with it open.  That pretty well guarantees it will do it right.

Last edited by headkase (2016-11-26 23:39:54)

#8 2016-11-27 02:05:15

Texbrew

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I'm very happy with OpenBox, don't need another look at LXDE, but will take another look just to refresh my memory.

The next time I start up a VM I will take seamless mode for a spin. Learning something new every day.

tex

#9 2016-11-27 05:49:14

headkase

Right on, you're welcome.  smile

Board footer