You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-27 11:32:51

mr.MikyMaus

cat causes kernel panic

Hi,

I have this strange problem of my cat causing kernel panic. I sometimes leave my laptop on the table open and locked using slock and probably because it's warm my cat likes lying on it. The problem is whenever she does that for a longer period of time, the laptop ends up frozen with caps lock blinking (there's only one *-lock diode on the keyboard so I can't tell whether num- or scroll-lock is blinking as well) while the screen is blue (that's what slock does) so I can't see any error messages.

There's also nothing in journal.

It's probably not overheating but I can't think of any other reason. Tips?

Kernel version flavour doesn't seem to make any difference - tried vanilla, lts, ck ... same results.

-m.

Last edited by mr.MikyMaus (2016-11-28 14:09:22)

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#2 2016-11-27 12:23:09

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: cat causes kernel panic

Have you tried one of these?

Other than that, I recommend enabling magic SysRq and REISUB-ing the next time it occurs, you may get something in your journal then. Rapidly pressing ctrl+alt+del may have a similar effect, since systemd watches out for that combination.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-11-27 12:29:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ha - I first opened this thread wondering what file you were cat'ing that could cause a kernel panic.  I first read WorMzy's reply thinking he was being a complete smartass - but no, that is what this is about.  This should definitely be added to the useless use of cat list.

Overheating sounds most likely to me.  But if not that, it could be due to a large volume of stray key presses to slock.  You should be able to test this pretty easily.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-11-27 12:35:59

seth

Lol, i thought man 1 cat.
The furball will likely cause a lot of keyboard input. Try to at least stop autorepeating with locking. ("xset -r", "xset r" will re-enable it and slock can probably execute stuff around it)

#5 2016-11-27 14:16:12

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … %20problem

Seriously, can you not find a place to put your computer where the cat can't lie on it? Or at least close it when you are not using it? It is only a matter of time before your cat vomits (or worse) on your open laptop and then you will have much more serious problems.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2016-11-27 14:17:31)

#6 2016-11-27 14:21:34

oliver

2ManyDogs wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … %20problem

Seriously, can you not find a place to put your computer where the cat can't lie on it? Or at least close it when you are not using it? It is only a matter of time before your cat vomits (or worse) on your open laptop and then you will have much more serious problems.

My cat decided it would be a fun game to rip half the keys off my laptop keyboard.  And those things never go back in correctly.

OP - since there's a cat involved I assume you're at home.  Could you not disable slock and see if you get any clues on the screen?

#7 2016-11-27 14:53:41

mich41

oliver wrote:

Could you not disable slock and see if you get any clues on the screen?

Yeah, boot with consoleblank=0 loglevel=7 and leave the machine showing some tty instead of X. If it's overheating you'll see an MCE or some random kernel page fault or something. If you are worried that the cat or some intelligent life could wreak havoc in unlocked system, use vlock.

#8 2016-11-27 19:12:34

mr.MikyMaus

Thanks for all tips smile I've already tried the Radiator Cat Bed. But cat's don't go well with incentives. When the cat decides that the laptop is the bed-to-be, then the laptop is the bed-to-be. I neither can nor want to change this.

On the serious note: I don't think it's slock-related but I'll try to rule that out as well. I also don't consider this a Henny Youngmann problem as if this really is caused by excessive input produced by the cat (there's not just keyboard there but a touchpad and also touchscreen), then there is a bug somewhere. A cat just shouldn't be able to cause a kernel panic on a locked laptop. Not ever.

I've tried to emulate the excessive input situation by myself but I gave up after 15 minutes. Guess the cat's entropy is better.

I'll try to increase logging as suggested and switch to VT and see what happens.

-m.

PS.

2ManyDogs wrote:

It is only a matter of time before your cat vomits (or worse) on your open laptop and then you will have much more serious problems.

Not really, I have an all-risk NBD insurance and, of course, a full backup smile Anyway, I'm not primarily concerned about the laptop but about the freeze/kernel panic itself. I want to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by mr.MikyMaus (2016-11-27 19:17:45)

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#9 2016-11-27 20:49:06

seth

Assuming it's not input (and I suggest that slock *is* a factor because it will certainly stall handling on false inputs):
How weel fed is the cat? Could it be the pressure on the device (probably the entire HW is below the keyboard)

Oh, and about teaching the cat/avoiding the problem: simply close the lid ;-)

#10 2016-11-28 13:38:16

mrunion
Website

Place a box over the laptop and leave it as usual. If the problem of lockups still occur, it's not the cat.

Or get a dog to guard the laptop.....

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer