You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-27 17:57:59

nilanka

Awesome WM multihead with xrandr, xfce DE

Hello, can someone be kind enough to post a guide on how to configure awesome wm to use multiple monitors as independant desktops please?

New to arch world.

Thanks in advance,
Nilanka

#2 2016-11-27 18:06:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Awesome WM multihead with xrandr, xfce DE

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-11-27 18:31:28

nilanka

Hi jasonwryan, I checked that out prior to posting. Correct me if I'm wrong but it just shows for to position and place external monitors using xrandr. No particulars on multiple desktops, which I'm looking for. I've already setup the multiple monitor thing, so I have an extended single  desktop.

#4 2016-11-27 18:39:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I don't know if Awesome supports different tags on different monitors (which sounds like what you are after).

#5 2016-11-27 18:43:54

nilanka

Yes that's what I'm after, it days that it does, even on that page. Any other suggestions? I tried openbox-multihead that's on the air, but it too I couldn't find how to use after extensive searching... Any pointers for that?

#6 2016-11-27 19:00:43

scottro
Website

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=199403 is a series of posts I made about using OpenBox with multihead monitors.  (I wasn't able, however, to get separate workspaces on each monitor.)

I have found, (on FreeBSD, using NVidia's GUI config tool) that I was able to get dwm working with multihead.  The dwm window manager automatically gives me one screen per monitor. 

I was also able to get it working to my liking with some configuration tweaks to spectrwm window manager.  https://srobb.net/spectrwm.html  is the page, you can do a search for the word regions.
I should add that I see you asked about awesome, but as you mention attempts with openbox, I figure it's worth mentioning other possibilities. If I've wasted your time, I apologize.

#7 2016-11-27 19:38:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

nilanka wrote:

Yes that's what I'm after, it days that it does, even on that page. Any other suggestions?

Where on the page? And if it does, what issues are you having with implementing it?

#8 2016-11-27 21:39:48

nilanka

@scottro: You have not done any time wasting, thanks for the valuable input, I was looking for any means this was possible with. I would like permission to contact you via email, if possible.

@jasonwryan: It says "Besides the fact that awesome has: Real multihead support (XRandR, Xinerama or Zaphod mode) with per screen desktops (tags);". The problem is I have the impression that it supports multihead out of the box, but when I connect the external monitor nothing happens and the workspace is just extended.

#9 2016-11-27 22:55:11

scottro
Website

Thanks for the kind words.  However, in cases like this, I think questions should stay on the forum, as they're more likely to help everyone.  (If that comes off as rude, it's not intended to be so).  Also, I don't have great knowledge of it. :-), dwm did it without me doing anything, everything I figured out about openbox I put in the thread I linked earlier, and the spectrwm instructions are on my page.  If any of those aren't clear, especially as I believe documentation should be clear, please let me know here, as I'd consider it a bug in my post or webpage that should be fixed.

Board footer