You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-30 11:27:01

friendlyguy

[SOLVED] No mouse pointer when using synergy

Hi there!
I am running arch linux on my lenovo w520:
Linux unknown 4.8.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 11:55:43 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have a gnome desktop running with xorg.
Its been all "nice" until a few weeks ago. Sadly i didnt notice a problem and when i noticed i didnt care immediately:
When moving the mouse via synergy the mouse-pointer is not moving at all. (My Laptop is the CLIENT)

I didnt change my config on the synergy-server(windows), and this has been working nicely until "then".

When I look into Synergy Log i can clearly see that the mouse itself is "entering" and "leaving" the screen:
[2016-11-30T11:58:36] INFO: entering screen
    /build/synergy/src/synergy-1.8.5-stable/src/lib/synergy/Screen.cpp,113
[2016-11-30T11:58:37] INFO: leaving screen
    /build/synergy/src/synergy-1.8.5-stable/src/lib/synergy/Screen.cpp,131

Also: i can click around and i can hit buttons by accident smile (The mouse is there, its just not visible)
I can also write to the client via server-keyboard, but the keyboard layout is wrong, all of a sudden. (Has also been working before)
I would love to fix that behavior but, so far i havent been able to debug / trace this issue down to the root cause.

Synergy is: synergy-1.8.5-1
Synergy-Server (on windows) is: 1.8.5 stable
gnome-desktop is: 1:3.22.2-1
xorg-server is: 1.18.4-1

MAYBE, just maybe:
I also have issues (that were not present a few weeks ago) starting gparted.
Maybe those issues are related:
if i try to run gparted from command as sudo i get: "cannot open display: :0"
when i try to run gparted with gksudo i get asked for a password and then:  "cannot open display: :0"
echo $DISPLAY gives:  ":0"

Please, could someone help me to track this issue down? I have been unable so far.
I dont think its related to synergy itself, i think its my system / its configuration.
I must have screwed up somehow at somepoint smile
Just in case: i did read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sy … own_Issues
but the trick mentioned there to set "/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/cursor/active" to "false" did not help.
If i read the value by: "dconf read /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/cursor/active" i get "false"... but still no mouse cursor for synergy.
(There is a mouse cursor and its working when i use the track point or the touchpad, just not for synergy.)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by friendlyguy (2016-12-22 19:39:01)

#2 2016-12-22 17:17:03

friendlyguy

Re: [SOLVED] No mouse pointer when using synergy

damn... i made a mistake. i thought i was using xorg... but in fact i was using wayland!
if somebody encounters the same problem: check if you are running on wayland!
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
switched back to xorg and i had a working mouse pointer again.
if you are using gdm: there is a small gears icon next to the login button, hit that and select Gnome with Xorg... there u go.
have a nice day!

and:
I´d like to thank borschty from the gnome irc channel on freenet, he brought this into my attention again and solved the problem!

Last edited by friendlyguy (2016-12-22 17:19:55)

Board footer