You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-03 12:59:41

undefined_particle

Systemctl suspend froze my PC, 'filesystem check failed' boot-looping

I'm new to the forums, please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong section and if I've done something in a wrong way.

About the problem, last night I used systemctl suspend two times. First time I did it in order to check it out and worked well, I could access my files and everything.
The second time I did it, it just froze my PC and I couldn't do anything but to do a hard reset. After turning PC again, I was brought to this screen: http://i.imgur.com/KJXCD0Y.jpg
I'm extremely sorry for posting an image but I can't copy and paste everything. sad

I'm using Arch for a little bit over a month now, it's running the latest kernel with a very minimal number of packages. The night before this happened, I was uploading everything to the cloud, but my ISP's DNS server decided not to work. I really hope that this issue can be solved... Thanks in advance. smile

#2 2016-12-03 13:16:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Systemctl suspend froze my PC, 'filesystem check failed' boot-looping

undefined_particle wrote:

After turning PC again, I was brought to this screen: http://i.imgur.com/KJXCD0Y.jpg

Looks like your drive is corrupted, possibly as a result of the hard shutdown.

Can you recreate a fresh filesystem on the device and restore a working backup?

#3 2016-12-03 13:46:15

undefined_particle

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
undefined_particle wrote:

After turning PC again, I was brought to this screen: http://i.imgur.com/KJXCD0Y.jpg

Looks like your drive is corrupted, possibly as a result of the hard shutdown.

Can you recreate a fresh filesystem on the device and restore a working backup?

Thank you for replying.

Yeah, it's most likely corrupted by that.. :S

I'll try to do it, but I don't have a high hopes.

#4 2016-12-05 17:53:39

undefined_particle

A bit late update: I was able to get most of my files back using Windows and DiskInternals Linux Reader and I can't be more happier. big_smile Now, all that is left is to re-install Arch and re-configure it.

I definitely got a good lesson from this. Hopefully, no one, or not too many of you will get into the same situation as I did. These are the lessons I learned:
1. Daily backups are necessary if you're doing something that you don't want to lose, also before you decide to mess around.
2. Set up a VM for testing purposes.
3. Read manual and check the wiki before attempting anything unknown. smile

This issue happened to me while using i3wm and I'll try to replicate it in a VM over the next week. I'll see you around on the forums. smile

Last edited by undefined_particle (2016-12-05 17:56:31)

Board footer