You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-03 17:30:08

StanleyRick

[SOLVED] Dual-boot Windows 10 with Arch Linux already installed in sdb

On my first hardrive (sda), the "primary", I have Windows 10 installed, and on my second HD (sdb) I have Arch Linux installed. I did the standard and post-install procedures, following the tutorial from LearnLinux.tv, in youtube. Everything was nice and clean until he came up with this command in particular:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdb

in which was fallowed by some kind of warning saying it was going to avoid something, unfortunately I don't remember what was it but naturally I made some research and every thread that I would comu up with they were saying that it was "okay" to leave it. But when I rebooted, after I've installed the system, grub didn't show up. So I changed from sdb to sda (where the Windows 10 boot was located),in the previous command, and it worked, but it has "overwritten" the boot of windows 10, and grub only reconized Arch Linux as a bootable OS, I had to come back to Windows 10 using the bootrec commands, and yes I used /fixmbr which destroys GRUB files. How can I have GRUB installed and boot both OSes, with Arch Linux ready to go? Or do I have to reinstall Arch all over again?

I have Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows 10 tools in a bootable usb.

As you can see, it's my first time with Arch Linux operatio system, please bear with me. Thank you.

Last edited by StanleyRick (2016-12-03 22:14:30)

#2 2016-12-03 18:16:33

JohnBobSmith

Re: [SOLVED] Dual-boot Windows 10 with Arch Linux already installed in sdb

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, "following the tutorial from LearnLinux.tv, in youtube." can only get you into to trouble. You have to follow the installation guide found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide. The reason for this is simple: If you follow an unsupported installation guide/method, we now have no idea how your system is configured, which commands you used or didn't and how broken your system is/isn't. I would encourage you to use the linked installation guide, re-install and try again. Feel free to post back with the results. smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-12-03 18:28:34

StanleyRick

I didn't use the official installation guide at first because I found it, let's say "too complex". But since I'm now a bit experienced with the installation I may try again, I'll reply as soon as I've completed the installation. Thanks

#4 2016-12-03 20:31:45

StanleyRick

After several attempts, I succeeded. I did the standard procedure and followed the article "Dual boot with Windows". Sorry for the inconvenience.

#5 2016-12-03 20:33:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer