You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-05 18:12:07

moesi

Howto - Separate Testing and Developing Environment

Hi there!

Well, we are testing and developing with different technologies (@ university courses) and i think i have messed up my environment. So, i wanted to know whats the best practice to separate my private developing and gaming arch installation from the test/developing environment...

My thought was to install arch in virtualbox again.
Are there other options?

Greetings
Moesi

#2 2016-12-05 20:54:35

onslow77

Re: Howto - Separate Testing and Developing Environment

moesi wrote:

...i think i have messed up my environment...

I have the following questions:
- What are the error outputs?
- What are the symptom/effect of the problem?
- What develoment tools do you use?
- what "environment" for example KDE, Gnome do you use?

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-12-05 20:59:40)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2016-12-05 20:54:49

eschwartz
Fellow

How have you messed it up? There's no good reason you can't use one environment for both, and "messed up" always has a solution. Of course, you must provide actual details to get a solution!

If you just want separate environments "just in case", sure, use a VM or a chroot/systemd-nspawn container or something. But surely you didn't come all this way to confirm that standard idea...

Last edited by eschwartz (2016-12-05 20:57:20)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2016-12-05 21:24:34

moesi

Well i had some strange dependencie issues when i wanted to updated last week. I have installed so many different tools - that i am for sure, will forget to delete when i dont need them anymore.
For example i tried different ide's for c++ development, i had dbs installed (not in a container) and so on...

Well if the answer is: Use a VM. I am fine with it. As i said, just wanted to know if thers a certain usage. smile

thanks for the quick replays

#5 2016-12-05 21:30:42

eschwartz
Fellow

"strange dependencie issues" is a very vague term. sad
Things from the repos should be able to coexist without problems, unless pacman marked them as conflicts in which case duh. wink

But forgetting to delete no-longer-needed packages is an easy fix. If I don't know whether I want to keep something, I use "--asdeps" to install it, and it shows up as an orphaned package. So it is easy to clean up the system.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer