You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-10 01:25:19

NeoZelux

[SOLVED] AUR packages containing binaries

Hello !
     If a developer wants to submit a package to the AUR of his own software including the binary instead of the source code, is there a way? I was reading the wiki on the AUR & came across

Packages that contain binaries or that are very poorly written may be deleted without warning.

Are there any exceptions to this guideline ? If a developer does not want to release his source code, will his package be banned from the AUR ?

thanks.

Last edited by NeoZelux (2016-12-10 04:51:23)

#2 2016-12-10 01:44:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] AUR packages containing binaries

You cannot upload the binary to the AUR page, that's what that rule is about - although it seems oddly worded as you cannot upload source code to the AUR page either.

You can definitely post PKGBUILDs that retrieve binary packages.  Just be sure to follow the naming convention of ending the package name with "-bin".

That said, a binary-only package from an unknown source will likely be of little (or perhaps no) interest to the community.  Based on this criteria it may not be well suited for the AUR.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-12-10 03:45:18

NeoZelux

Thanks for the reply trillby ! yes I was confused about the wording but I see as you've explained that binaries can be included in a sense just not hard wired
into the AUR. Because of your latter remarks i have a follow up question.

Should I digest your remark as an aside that source-code is preffered to binary-only packages (which I was aware of), or are you hinting
at some other form of package distribution ?

Also 1 more question, what constitutes an "unkown" source and what constitutes a "known" source, would you mind explaining ?

thanks !

#4 2016-12-10 04:25:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm not hinting at anything.

As for known or unknown, that's subjective.  But most people around here would know what/who Mozilla is and could verify a checksum against their website.  You are unknown.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-12-10 04:44:22

NeoZelux

Ok I think I have a better understanding now.

thanks again Trillby !

cheers !

Board footer