You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-11 05:56:42

QuarkTheAwesome

Screen capture strobing frames instead of capturing

Hey all!

I've been having a weird issue with my laptop, more specifically where screen capture is unusable. I already posted it on Stack Exchange and didn't receive much help - you can read up there (also attached below) for the details of the problem, but I've since found out that the issue seems specific to my Arch setup so I figured I'd ask here.

To sum up, since the time of my posting on Stack Exchange, I tried OBS on an Ubuntu LiveUSB and, lo and behold, it worked just fine (not hardware). I've kept my Arch install up to date and fiddled where I can, but the problem hasn't shifted.

Stack exchange posting:

I've been trying to do some screen recording of my DE and I've encountered a very strange problem. Basically, any screen recording utility I use will capture a few frames and simply strobe between them on update. I've tried VLC, OBS, x11grab with ffmpeg, and even VNC software, all of which display this behaviour.

From what I can tell, one of the frames is usually from the first time I attempt capture while the others (up to around four) are captured from random points afterwards. Either way, the recording is unusable.

I've scanned through all the logs I can think of: Xorg.0.log, the kernel stuff (dmesg), and the logs of the programs doing the capturing - all radio silence. The best I could do was this log from VLC, and the ffmpeg warning "past duration too large" during capture.

I'm running 64-bit Arch with everything up to date (just checked): so Xorg 1.18.4-1, GNOME 3.22.2, Budgie (my DE of choice) 10.2.7-3 and kernel 4.8.6. My graphics card is an Intel HD 405 (or possibly just a 2015 Intel HD, GNOME and Wikipedia seem to disagree) running mesa 13.0.0-1, libva-intel 1.7.2-1, and xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+725+gbf7316a-1 (that's one hell of a version number!)

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm happy to post any more information as needed - wasn't sure how to tackle this problem since I couldn't find anything else like it!

I'd really appreciate help here; anything's good after what SE gave me :3
Thanks!

#2 2016-12-11 08:57:00

alex.theoto

Re: Screen capture strobing frames instead of capturing

If you use gnome on wayland, try X.

#3 2016-12-11 09:14:08

QuarkTheAwesome

alex.theoto wrote:

If you use gnome on wayland, try X.

I'm using X already.

#4 2017-10-24 05:34:58

Alonso98

Hey I may be a bit late but I had the same problem with Manjaro KDE (I suppose that the workaround works for Arch too). OBS and the screen sharing feature in Skype Preview showed this problem for me. I'm not sure if GNOME supports similar settings but setting Tearing prevention("vsync") to "never" fixed my issue. Setting the rendering to XRender fixed my issue too but I prefer the previous workaround. If I find a better workaround I'll post it here. This is kinda weird because I didn't experienced this problem at all when I used mint KDE 18.2 so maybe is an Arch issue.
My laptop is using an Intel Celeron N3050

Edit: Uninstalling the xf86-video-intel driver works too but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Last edited by Alonso98 (2017-10-24 05:43:39)

#5 2017-10-25 12:29:37

codencrazy

What video card do you have? What video drivers are you using? Do you have VDPAU or VAAPI configured? What kernel and version are you using?
Do you have composition on for all windows? If so, what compositor are you using and is it using OpenGL 2.0 or OpenGL 3.0?

#6 2017-10-26 06:17:26

HiImTye

most of those utilities use ffmpeg as their backend. have you tried rolling back ffmpeg and seeing if that fixed the issue for you? or rebuilding ffmpeg for your system?

Board footer