You are not logged in.

#26 2006-06-12 23:04:07

lumiwa

Re: My friend... A Windows user !

Maybe your friend will like this link:

http://www.playfuls.com/news_02745_Windows_Vista_vs_Linux_Why_Vista_Might_Lose_the_Battle.html

From "link":

All in all, the probably unanimous conclusion is that with or without Vista's release in 2007 the winner is Linux. Paradoxically enough, just as many have suggested before, Microsoft shall boost Linux's popularity no matter what Vista will bring new to the OS market. Still, if rumors concerning a new delay of Vista are true, MS's credibility (already at low levels in recent years) will drop significantly, and with it, the finances too.

#27 2006-06-15 08:58:46

ScriptDevil

Vista has the sexiest look, but may be the first to contract AIDS wink

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#28 2006-06-16 02:53:42

deficite

Yeah, I ran Vista Beta 2 (legally). My first impression was "This is really cool". Then you dig in and realize that the UI is.......stupid. It's like the drunk blond girl at a party that looks nice but is completely stupid. I found it hard to find some things, the sidebar is DUMB, it wastes a lot of needless resources, the list goes on and on. Basically you get a bloated piece of crap that now has some nice eye candy (And I do have to say, Vista LOOKS very good. It looks even better in motion. Well, except that unprofessional welcome screen).

Before trying the beta, I was excited about Vista, but now after seeing how stupid Vista really is (it's basically Windows XP minus the familiar interface and plus the memory consumption), I immediately reinstalled Arch and put XFCE 4.4beta. I love XFCE 4.4 a LOT. Everything I had previously disliked about XFCE they've fixed.

PS: I am SOOOOOO sick of hearing people worrying about system requirements. Do you know what my system is? An Athlon XP 2000+ for crying out loud! And it ran it fine. The only thing that is ridiculous is that it ate up my 768MB of RAM like it was nothing. I can just imagine how much RAM DX10 games are going to require.

#29 2006-06-26 21:24:12

thomas23

Somebody says 

RAM is cheaper than competent programmers...

But anyway, you can be sure every new PC will come with vista on it. These PCs will work fine so Windows will continue to run fine to the eyes of ordinary users.

And about Linux, some distros have falled into the same trap as Windows. Too much automatic stuff that eats up all the resources. Around 37 services running with Mandrake 10.0 right after the installation last time I used it. Only 4 at installation and less than 10 when running a full gui environnement easy to use with ArchLinux.

The reason why a lots of people are scared of Linux is that they might have to use the command line. When using the command line, you must have a goal, something to do... When using Windows, you can simply let the OS enterain you while it auto do all kinds of stuff like sending your credit cards numbers on the Internet because you were told that Windows' EFS was safe, so you wrote all your important data there, but you caught a Worm, Virus, Trojan, whatever...

Anyway, my point is that the ordinary user buy a computer because everybody around him or her say that you need a computer these days. Then he or she uses whatever comes with it. This is probably around 70% of computer users. This is the kind of customers that Microsoft aims. This is why Windows always pop up some stuff, to give something to do with you computer... like buying an antivirus sofware. And if the user takes the Windows tour, then plenty of stuff to buy with your new computer ! They do business, not software engineering...

#30 2006-06-26 22:12:34

Gullible Jones

thomas23 wrote:

And about Linux, some distros have falled into the same trap as Windows. Too much automatic stuff that eats up all the resources. Around 37 services running with Mandrake 10.0 right after the installation last time I used it. Only 4 at installation and less than 10 when running a full gui environnement easy to use with ArchLinux.

Quite true. Of course, part of the blame does go to the software... Take a look at Gnome's desktop stuff (the panel and WM are both rather piggish), OOo... even Firefox has gotten significantly bigger than it used to be.

#31 2006-06-27 23:48:02

deficite

thomas23 wrote:

They do business, not software engineering...

I don't think I could've put it better myself.

#32 2006-06-28 01:50:57

iBertus

Gullible Jones wrote:
thomas23 wrote:

Quite true. Of course, part of the blame does go to the software... Take a look at Gnome's desktop stuff (the panel and WM are both rather piggish), OOo... even Firefox has gotten significantly bigger than it used to be.

I agree that most software, even open source, has become way too bloated. Me definition of bloat is very simple -- using more resources (CPU, RAM, disk space) than is necessary to complete the task. I assume that some of the bloat with Mozilla and OOo is related to the multi-platform/OS nature of these projects. But, this does not excuse the requirements growing between releases with no additional features.

I use a lot of proprietary GIS/mapping software for my work, and it all requires insane specs to run smoothly. I think most of it is due to trying to accomplish too much with one piece of software. The UNIX approach of many small, functional pieces works much better than one huge, monolithic, memory-hog application. Thank God for Arch! At least it keeps part of my computing simple and intelligently designed.

#33 2006-06-28 01:58:59

Gullible Jones

lumiwa wrote:

Maybe your friend will like this link:

http://www.playfuls.com/news_02745_Windows_Vista_vs_Linux_Why_Vista_Might_Lose_the_Battle.html

From "link":

All in all, the probably unanimous conclusion is that with or without Vista's release in 2007 the winner is Linux. Paradoxically enough, just as many have suggested before, Microsoft shall boost Linux's popularity no matter what Vista will bring new to the OS market. Still, if rumors concerning a new delay of Vista are true, MS's credibility (already at low levels in recent years) will drop significantly, and with it, the finances too.

Wait a minute, Vista requires 15 GB? Wow... just wow. That is not even funny. :shock: And I thought FOSS stuff  suffered from out-of-control bloat... :shock:

#34 2006-06-28 02:33:31

iBertus

Gullible Jones wrote:

Wait a minute, Vista requires 15 GB? Wow... just wow. That is not even funny. :shock: And I thought FOSS stuff  suffered from out-of-control bloat... :shock:

Yeah, Vista is only available as a 3.5GB DVD image. When released, it will probably on be on DVD, too.

#35 2006-06-28 13:13:33

Gullible Jones

That is quite crazy...

BTW, speaking of bloat, things do seem to have gotten rather better since the introduction of GCC 4.1.x. I wonder if a lot of the piggishness I saw was because of GCC 4.0.x producing bigger binaries?

#36 2006-06-28 23:13:08

profoX
Website

On another note, Windows Vista Beta 2 installer killed my testmachine's linux partition with archlinux on it (thank god it was a testmachine), WITHOUT EVEN ASKING! What's even funnier? The installation didn't succeed in the end.

Who wants to participate in my ritual burning of the DVD?

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#37 2006-06-29 00:21:01

thomas23

profoX wrote:

On another note, Windows Vista Beta 2 installer killed my testmachine's linux partition with archlinux on it (thank god it was a testmachine), WITHOUT EVEN ASKING! What's even funnier? The installation didn't succeed in the end.

Who wants to participate in my ritual burning of the DVD?

This is why I always use VMWare for my tests... But anyway, this is much closer to a virus than an OS. If I would make a script that delete stuff without prompting where I work, I would not work anymore.

#38 2006-06-29 00:28:05

Gullible Jones

Ouch. I assume MS has a bugtracking system so you can report crazy stuff like that? :shock:

(Of course, it might just fall under the "Not a bug" category. Welcome to MS Voodoo OS...)

#39 2006-06-29 02:23:34

thomas23

Gullible Jones wrote:

(Of course, it might just fall under the "Not a bug" category. Welcome to MS Voodoo OS...)

I've already heard about an issue with Microsoft's VPN. I do not remember the issue but the answer from Microsoft was

It works as expected

I like this one too ! from some dude I know...

I just found an undocumented feature !

wink

Board footer