You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-18 11:16:12

RealDarthVader

Cannot re-enable Nvidia kernel modules: "No such device"

This is a problem that's been bugging me for awhile, and I'm out of both original ideas and google search phrases. For the last few weeks, I've been trying to set up Bumblebee graphics switching on my brand-spanking-new laptop (asus ux501vw, if you were wondering). Part of how bumblebee works is dynamically enabling and disabling the discrete graphics card depending on whether or not it is being utilised. Unfortunately, on my computer at least, after the nvidia kernel module has been unloaded, I'm unable to load it again. For example, I'll boot, and the graphics card will be enabled (because I removed the nvidia module backlist that bumblebee sets). While the modules are loaded, the graphics card is on, bumblebee can use it, and everything is dandy. Unfortunately, as soon as the kernel modules are unloaded, by it by the bbswitch kernel module or manually by me with rmmod, it becomes impossible to reenable it with modprobe, outputting "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': No such device." Now, I did google that, and found this, and am assuming that removing the nvidia kernel module cuts power to the card, making it impossible to reenable, though it is still visible as a 3D controller to lspci. Unfortunately, that is a problem that I havebeen hitherto unable to fix. I'm open to pretty much any ideas.

If you can think of additional useful information that I haven't included here, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RealDarthVader (2016-12-18 11:16:40)

#2 2016-12-18 22:54:23

md1flynn

Re: Cannot re-enable Nvidia kernel modules: "No such device"

What is the output of

# cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

before and after you unload the module?

Does using the command:

# echo ON > /proc/acpi/bbswitch

allow you to insert the module? Is there any more information from dmesg?

Board footer