You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-03 10:41:24

Komodo

Rox filer - missing 'cut' option in right click menu???

I suspect I'm being special here, but I don't see how; when right clicking on any selection of files, there's no 'cut' option anyway, for cutting the file from that location in preparation for pasting it elsewhere.

Is there something I'm missing here?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-06-03 13:00:54

magnum_opus

Re: Rox filer - missing 'cut' option in right click menu???

pretty sure your supposed to just drag the files wherever then choose move

#3 2006-06-03 16:34:24

Komodo

magnum_opus wrote:

that's so utterly poo... i can't believe it doesn't have 'cut'. The reason I asked is because in a comparison between CLI and GUI file managers on linux.com, the reviewer mentioned that every app he tried had copy, cut and paste functionality, so I assumed I was just missing something...

/me installs pcmanfm

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#4 2006-06-03 22:57:13

orestis

I haven't really tried this yet, but when right clicking in rox there is a "Costumise Menu" option where you put simlinks in ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SenTo/.inode_directory
of programs already existing on the system to display them in the menu.

I guess that cut & paste can be easily implimented with scripts and you can place their syminks in the above directory to have them in the menu.

EDIT: My bad..  .inode_derectory applies to all directories. So If you want cut & paste to all types of files (witch this is probably the case) you'll have to click "Costumise Menu" for every file_type and put symlinks to all of them... I guess not so convinient.

#5 2006-06-04 06:29:59

Komodo

I'm seriously unimpressed they haven't added normal cut and paste.  :evil:

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#6 2006-06-04 12:55:53

twiistedkaos

Komodo wrote:
magnum_opus wrote:

that's so utterly poo... i can't believe it doesn't have 'cut'. The reason I asked is because in a comparison between CLI and GUI file managers on linux.com, the reviewer mentioned that every app he tried had copy, cut and paste functionality, so I assumed I was just missing something...

/me installs pcmanfm

Wow, you read the same article I read last night. But, I wasn't quite fond of Rox it was too confusing for a simple file manager wink. I'm still looking for replacements for Nautilus, so if you find a good file manager, let me know wink

#7 2006-06-04 13:26:45

Fatih
Website

twiistedkaos wrote:

Wow, you read the same article I read last night. But, I wasn't quite fond of Rox it was too confusing for a simple file manager wink. I'm still looking for replacements for Nautilus, so if you find a good file manager, let me know wink

Maybe Thunar ?

http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/

Shadowhand has a repo for the Thunar-svn packages. You could add it to pacman.conf and install.

#8 2006-06-04 13:46:19

twiistedkaos

Fatih wrote:
twiistedkaos wrote:

Maybe Thunar ?

http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/

Shadowhand has a repo for the Thunar-svn packages. You could add it to pacman.conf and install.

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!

#9 2006-06-04 20:56:41

iBertus

Maybe midnight commander?

I don't really see the problem tho. You can just drag-n-drop files in rox and select the action you wish... (copy is copy, move seems the same as cut to me). You can customize rox so that using the middle mouse button always copies and the left one always moves when dragging files. Plus, rox supports springing open directories so that drag-n-drop is very easy.

#10 2006-06-05 11:45:00

Komodo

twiistedkaos wrote:

if you find a good file manager, let me know wink

komodo wrote:

/me installs pcmanfm

big_smile

Thunar is a bit pants atm if you ask me.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#11 2006-06-05 11:48:38

Komodo

iBertus wrote:

I don't really see the problem tho.

There are a few problems with it. First off, if you have to drag and hover over a directory to traverse the directory tree in order to move a file to where you want, then there's a rather lengthy delay as you move from one folder to another. This is removed if you can just 'cut' the file and then move normally between folders.

Secondly, the way it is means that you can't do anything else before pasting the file, you have to paste it immediately essentially. What if I remembered I had to make a folder or two, or move some other files first, in the middle of 'moving' a file from one place to another in rox? I'd be screwed.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#12 2006-06-06 01:01:01

magnum_opus

you can always just middle click a directory/button to open it up in a new window do what you need/go where you need in the new window then drag from one window to the other
i admit i'm more of a cut/paste kinda guy myself but it's just another way of doing things

Board footer