You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-03 15:49:36

varaahan

font rendered as squares in login screen

Installed kde and when I try to login thro the kdm  login window, all my typings are displayed as small squares only. And I could not login. why?

Linux learner and admirer - ALWAYS
Regd Linux User : 431318

#2 2006-07-01 20:06:25

janwil

Re: font rendered as squares in login screen

Hi!

varaahan wrote:

Installed kde and when I try to login thro the kdm  login window, all my typings are displayed as small squares only. And I could not login. why?

I am having the same problem with my brand new Gimmick installation. The problem of no letters seems to be connected with the strange behaviour of Fontconfig, namely entering

# fc-list

produces no output whatsoever, although it should list all the fonts available via Fontconfig. Since KDM is using Fontconfig, it is able to find no fonts.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Jan

#3 2006-07-01 20:22:51

janwil

janwil wrote:

The problem of no letters seems to be connected with the strange behaviour of Fontconfig, namely entering

# fc-list

produces no output whatsoever, although it should list all the fonts available via Fontconfig. Since KDM is using Fontconfig, it is able to find no fonts.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

OK; I fixed it in my installation, all that was required was

# fc-cache -f -v

Perhaps one has to issue this command every time a new font is added -- I don't know yet.

Jan

#4 2006-09-17 01:32:19

pelle.k

I tried your solution. I think that in the end, my problem was not the same, but the result was - that is no fonts in kdm. This is how i got around it; http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … dm+squares

Also, xorg-fonts-100dpi etc doesn't show up in fc-list after fc-cache -fv, i take it that's normal.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer