You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-27 20:37:23

onClickListener

matlab installer doesn't work

Hi dear community,

at the moment I'm trying to install matlab 2016b on arch linux. I downloaded the installer from the official matlab site and unpacked/started it with unzip xxx && ./installer. The installer wizard appears but it doesn't looks good (incomplete test...).
Does anybody of you run into the same problem or what am I doing wrong? Please let me know if you need additional information.
Thank's a lot an sorry for my English.

Regards,
Alexander

#2 2016-12-27 20:46:24

Slithery
Administrator

Re: matlab installer doesn't work

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-12-27 22:21:30

onClickListener

Thank's now I tried to install matlab from AUR but it failed...

alexander:matlab/ (master) $ makepkg -si                                                                                                                                                                               [22:58:06]
==> Making package: matlab 08.06.00-1 (Tue Dec 27 22:58:09 CET 2016)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
==> ERROR: Unknown download protocol: file
    Aborting...

I did some research in the internet but I didn't find any information or package to solve the problem.
Thank's for any help!

Regards,
Alexander

#4 2016-12-27 22:29:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Read the wiki page on AUR.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2016-12-28 11:57:48

onClickListener

I already read the AUR page, but i can't find any helpful information there.
By the way why does the online installer not work?
Sorry for being so desperate.

#6 2016-12-28 14:16:44

Chocopuff

From the wiki:

"The matlabAUR package from the AUR requires that both the MATLAB installation software and the file installation key are available in the source directory. "

The reason for this is because MATLAB is not Free and Open Source,  the End User License Agreement prevents you from redistributing it. Therefore, you need to manually get the

matlab.fik 

and

matlab.iso 

before you can makepkg. As to what those are, I don't know. You probably do. I don't use matlab. Then you put them in /src of the directory with the PKGBUILD.

#7 2016-12-28 16:40:37

daanjderuiter

If you're using the non-AUR version of MATLAB (which would be the case if you're installing 2016b), are you running the installer as root? Might be a stupid question but just checking.
For me, mounting the MATLAB iso somewhere and running the installer from that directory with sudo was all that was necessary.

#8 2016-12-28 21:20:42

onClickListener

Thank's Chocopuff and daanjderuiter,

the problem is, that i have no .iso because:
"You must be an administrator on your MATLAB license to download the installer as an ISO image." I got the licence from my university so I think that I'm not an administrator of my license (I found no way to download an .iso on my Matlab account) Now I started the installer on linux mint and there looks all fine. This means there are just a view packages which are missing, right?
So may somebody knows what is missing...

#9 2016-12-29 03:24:47

Chocopuff

I have no idea. Sorry about that, don't use MATLAB. Just go talk to your university/ esp. the person you got your license from. They should be able to help you. Tell them you need the matlab.iso . Or show them this thread. Hopefully, they'll know.

#10 2016-12-29 04:49:40

TheChickenMan

daanjderuiter wrote:

If you're using the non-AUR version of MATLAB (which would be the case if you're installing 2016b), are you running the installer as root? Might be a stupid question but just checking. For me, mounting the MATLAB iso somewhere and running the installer from that directory with sudo was all that was necessary.

The MATLAB installer doesn't need root if you choose a location to install it to not owned by root. I have mine installed to ~/.MATLAB/bin and then made my own files to launch it in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share/applications. I wasn't using the AUR package and didn't want to let a random script install stuff to my root partition. It works great.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#11 2017-03-17 10:01:53

mich_arch
Website

Hi guys.
First off, I hope to be in the right discussion.
I am a new Arch user and a new member of this forum. My Arch distro is installed on a virtual machine (virtual box). Now, I need to install Matlab R2016a and, after moving to the folder containing the install file, I typed ./install command, but during the installation, I get the following error:

The following error was detected while installing vision_common: archive is not a ZIP archive Would you like to retry installing vision_common? If you press No, the installer will exit without completing the installation. More information can be found at /tmp/mathworks_root.log

Why? I have no idea how to solve the issue. Can you help me, please?
Thanks.

MB
Regards

Board footer