You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-28 21:00:11

Iyyel
Website

Powertop tunings - how to do it 'manually'?

Hi!

I have sort of a simple question. I found out that powertop --auto-tune disables my GTX 960M completely, which makes me
unable to switch to it via bumblebee etc.

Currently I use the systemd service provided from the Arch Wiki about powertop to do powertop --auto-tune at startup.

Is there anyway that I will be able to make it so it does not auto-tune the GPU? - or perhaps make a script
to do all the tunings manually? I am not sure which is the preferred way.

Thank you.

#2 2016-12-29 00:10:22

Radioactiveman

Re: Powertop tunings - how to do it 'manually'?

I would run a custom script via a systemd service.
To find out the commands/parameters, create a HTML report (described here [1]) and switch to the "Tuning" tab.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … and_tricks

#3 2016-12-30 14:39:18

Iyyel
Website

Re: Powertop tunings - how to do it 'manually'?

Radioactiveman wrote:

I would run a custom script via a systemd service.
To find out the commands/parameters, create a HTML report (described here [1]) and switch to the "Tuning" tab.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … and_tricks

Thank you!

I have now extracted the commands, and after fiddling with lscpi and the commands, I believe I have found which one that needs to be disabled for my graphics card.

Now, should I put all these commands in a .sh script and make a systemd service that excutes that on startup, or how would be the best way? Thank you.

EDIT 1:

Alright, so I got it working. I made a .sh script called powertop_tune.sh and put all the extracted commands inside this, commenting out the GPU command.

Then I put that same script into /usr/bin/powertop_tune.

Then made a custom powertop_custom.service inside /etc/systemd/system/powertop_custom.service

which then calls this script on boot. Enabled it normally with sudo systemctl enable powertop_custom.service.

So it's working now! I hope this is a good solution for the problem, if anyone has any better solution, feel free to let others know. smile

Last edited by Iyyel (2016-12-30 20:29:03)

Board footer