You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-28 21:52:30

jakebpg
Banned

Arduino broken after installing system updates!

avrdude FAILS WITH CANNOT FIND LIBTINFO.SO.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How do I fix this and what changed that broke my working system!

Thanks in advance!

#2 2016-12-28 21:55:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arduino broken after installing system updates!

Post your pacman.log

And, in future, please include more relevant information: package versions, what was upgraded, etc: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-12-29 12:35:52

The Loko

I have the same issue. Arduino uses avrdude to upload the code to the board and it depends of libtinfo 5 (but since arduino and avrdude were added to official repos that dependency was removed, I don't know why).
Libtinfo is on aur, but now it was updated to libtinfo 6 so the arduino ide is broken.

#4 2016-12-29 12:45:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

As well as the pacman.log already requested, please post the output of 'pacman -Qm' and 'ldd /usr/bin/avrdude'.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2016-12-29 12:45:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Packages in community cannot have AUR dependencies.  If the avrdude package in community linked to a lib only provided in the AUR that would definitely be a packaging issue.  But it doesn't.  The avrdude package in community does not link to a tinfo lib.

So either this is the result of a partial upgrade, or the failure to properly update one's own aur packages.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-12-29 13:10:44

The Loko

The error string is

/home/user/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8/bin/avrdude: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I was wrong, the package uses a built-in version of avrdude, but it doesn't include that lib.

WorMzy wrote:

As well as the pacman.log already requested, please post the output of 'pacman -Qm' and 'l
dd /usr/bin/avrdude'.

I haven't installed nor updated anything related with arduino recently, I had this error for some months.
I haven't got avrdude installed (tried installing but same issue),
pacman -Qm doesn't show anything related with arduino or any lib.

Last edited by The Loko (2016-12-29 13:12:10)

#7 2016-12-29 13:14:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The Loko wrote:

/home/user/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8/bin/avrdude

So you installed this yourself locally rather than using the packages provided in the AUR or community repo.  You are responsible for updating/maintaining this local install.  Rebuild it against the new libs.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2016-12-29 13:16:39

The Loko

Trilby wrote:
The Loko wrote:

/home/user/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8/bin/avrdude

So you installed this yourself locally rather than using the packages provided in the AUR or community repo.  You are responsible for updating/maintaining this local install.  Rebuild it against the new libs.

Never installed anything locally:
pacman -Qi arduino

Nombre                    : arduino
Versión                   : 1:1.6.13-1
Descripción               : Arduino prototyping platform SDK
Arquitectura              : x86_64
URL                       : https://github.com/arduino/Arduino
Licencias                 : GPL  LGPL
Grupos                    : Nada
Provee                    : Nada
Depende de                : gtk2  desktop-file-utils  shared-mime-info  java-runtime=8
                            arduino-builder
Dependencias opcionales   : arduino-docs: Offline documentation for arduino
                            arduino-avr-core: AVR core with upstream avr-gcc and avrdude
                            python2: Intel Galileo Board installation [instalado]
Requerido por             : Nada
Opcional para             : Nada
En conflicto con          : Nada
Remplaza a                : Nada
Tamaño de la instalación  : 23,73 MiB
Encargado                 : NicoHood <nicohood@archlinux.org>
Fecha de creación         : mié 14 dic 2016 19:40:48 CET
Fecha de instalación      : mié 14 dic 2016 22:47:33 CET
Motivo de la instalación  : Instalado explícitamente
Intérprete de instalación : Sí
Validado por              : Firma

#9 2016-12-29 13:20:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The Loko wrote:

Never installed anything locally

Clearly you did.  It's sitting there in your home directory.  You likely did so through some board manager interface of the arduino package.  In this case, you need to update these locally installed tools through the same interface.

The avrdude binary provided in the official repositories does not link to libtinfo.  Yours does.  Fix yours or use the one from the repos.

#10 2016-12-31 13:48:24

The Loko

Trilby wrote:
The Loko wrote:

Never installed anything locally

Clearly you did.  It's sitting there in your home directory.  You likely did so through some board manager interface of the arduino package.  In this case, you need to update these locally installed tools through the same interface.

The avrdude binary provided in the official repositories does not link to libtinfo.  Yours does.  Fix yours or use the one from the repos.

Yea, I know arduino uses a locally installed binary, because the arduino ide doesn't support now the boards without installing the correct package from the built-in board manager, and the included avrdude binary depends of the older tinfo library.
I know that I can use avrdude from repos and upload the code manually, but how can I keep using the Arduino ide? Nobody else using it on Arch?

#11 2016-12-31 13:57:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Either update the locally installed binaries through the arduino interface and/or file a bug report upstream if you cant, or install ncurses5 from the AUR and modify the libtinfo PKGBUILD from the AUR for v5 and install that or make the tinfo->ncurses5 symlinks yourself.

#12 2017-01-05 09:44:21

chewtoy

I'm having problems here as well with this.

Since Arduino upstream isn't shipping their own libs for avrdude you get the problem with 'libtinfo.so.5' being absent since they assume that all distros have this lib already (...good job there).
Anyhow. If you read the wiki (like  you always should)

To use AVR boards such as the Arduino Uno you can install arduino-avr-core optionally to use archlinux upstream avr-gcc instead of the bundled older avr-core. If you still want to use the older arduino-core you need to install it in the board manager. You can always switch between the different cores in the "Tools>Board" menu.

This makes sure you have the definitions (or whatever they are) for most boards.

The problem I've run into is that the Archlinux packages assume 'arduino-builder' as the uploader. And 'arduino-builder' assumes that you provide a tool folder, as is said on the wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ar … no-Builder ).
And what is the problem with this? When pressing the 'upload' or 'compile' buttons in the Arduino IDE you get

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Linux), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /usr/share/arduino/hardware -built-in-libraries /usr/share/arduino/libraries -libraries /home/chewtoy/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=archlinux-arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0001 -ide-version=10800 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_951808 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /home/chewtoy/code/GitHub/Keyboard/Code/ModuleA/ModuleA.ino
Parameter 'tools' is mandatory
Usage of /usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder:
  -build-options-file string
    	Instead of specifying --hardware, --tools etc every time, you can load all such options from a file
  -build-path string
    	build path
  -built-in-libraries value
    	Specify a built-in 'libraries' folder. These are low priority libraries. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple built-in 'libraries' folders
  -compile
    	compiles the given sketch
  -core-api-version string
    	version of core APIs (used to populate ARDUINO #define) (default "10600")
  -debug-level int
    	Turns on debugging messages. The higher, the chattier (default 5)
  -dump-prefs
    	dumps build properties used when compiling
  -fqbn string
    	fully qualified board name
  -hardware value
    	Specify a 'hardware' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'hardware' folders
  -ide-version string
    	[deprecated] use 'core-api-version' instead (default "10600")
  -libraries value
    	Specify a 'libraries' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'libraries' folders
  -logger string
    	Sets type of logger. Available values are 'human', 'machine' (default "human")
  -prefs value
    	Specify a custom preference. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple custom preferences
  -preprocess
    	preprocess the given sketch
  -quiet
    	if 'true' doesn't print any warnings or progress or whatever
  -tools value
    	Specify a 'tools' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'tools' folders
  -verbose
    	if 'true' prints lots of stuff
  -version
    	prints version and exits
  -vid-pid string
    	specify to use vid/pid specific build properties, as defined in boards.txt
  -warnings string
    	Sets warnings level. Available values are 'none', 'default', 'more' and 'all'

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

And there is no option to specify what options  to give 'arduino-builder'. Unless there is some hidden setting in '~/.arduino15/preferences.txt' that's not there by default.
So going by the wiki and only using packages from community, the 'upload' and 'compile' is broken in the Arduino package, I'd say.
Compiling from command line using arduino-builder seems to work though, given the mandatory flags ofc.

Last edited by chewtoy (2017-01-05 09:54:13)

#13 2017-01-05 10:25:34

chewtoy

Right. What seems to work is just to symlink the broken avrdude to community/avrdude.

Install arduino and avrdude (and the deps)

# pacman -S arduino avrdude 

Start arduino and install the suggested package (the one that you get a pop-up for that says 'Install this to use your Uno' or whatever).

Now, when that has been installed:

% cd ~/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8/bin/
% mv avrdude failing_avrdude
% ln -s /usr/bin/avrdude avrdude

And now you should be able to compile and upload from the IDE.

#14 2017-01-05 13:13:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I hope someone here is filing bugs upstream for this stuff.  The above symlink workaround might be the least bad currently available option, but it's still pretty bad.  I'm surprised that anyone developing official tools for arduino would have their head this far up their backside - perhaps there is a development version they've just not bothered to release a version for yet.

#15 2017-01-07 18:59:46

SeeLook

I may confirm the same troubles.  I had 1.6.12 version before from AUR,
and after update to "official" 1.8 and hour of digging why it didn't work I downgraded to 1.6.12 again.
It simply works....

#16 2017-01-19 21:14:33

Arial7

Installing arduino-avr-core solved the issue for me.

# pacman -S arduino-avr-core

#17 2017-01-24 23:34:17

WeeDram

I am having a similar problem. I installed Arduino (new) just yesterday and also installed arduino-avr-core, shortly after  trying arduino and getting the error message:)

error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Arial7, have you installed anything else associated with arduino other than arduino-avr-core or have I missed a setting somewhere within the program itself?

#18 2017-01-25 00:00:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

See post #13

#19 2017-01-25 00:13:02

WeeDram

Sorry Trilby!! A moment ago I screwed up a quick response saying the program seems to work and between me signing back on and having to re-write my reply, you had replied. Actually, though, my 'fix' was to take slightly different steps while actually IN the program, in compiling and uploading the sketch. I didn't do anything else other than installing arduino and arduino-avr-core. Now, just hope that I can go a little further than getting that LED to blink on and off for 5 seconds each.

#20 2017-03-07 18:58:16

seva
Website

Arial7 wrote:

Installing arduino-avr-core solved the issue for me.

# pacman -S arduino-avr-core

The latter worked but make sure to remove avrdude package before installing arduino-avr-core :

sudo pacman -R arduino avrdude
sudo pacman -S arduino-avr-core arduino

Board footer