You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-04 18:44:23

egad

Might switch back to ArchLinux

I am not sure where to stick this- and if it's inaporpiat please let me know that as well.
I am former ArchLinux user, and I am  currently using Suse 10.1-
(Please don't let me start a distro-flame war).

I am giving some  thought to moving back to Arch because Suse 10.1 has a long list of bugs, design flaws and other assorted issues that on the surface seem to be difficult to resolve.(At least acording to their own bugzilla bug tracker )

Before I make the move I thought it might be a good idea to find out from the Arch comunity what the current state of it these days is
i.e.:what sort of things to look out for, daily maintence "gotchas" that kind of thing.

#2 2006-06-04 18:55:58

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Might switch back to ArchLinux

Come back all is forgiven  8)

Mr Green

#3 2006-06-04 19:39:33

egad

LOL
Sounds like a plan. Got a new install CD burning as we speak. backed up anything that looks somehwat important. big_smile  smile

#4 2006-06-04 19:42:49

hotsauce

but seriously, the new version got out just a few days (weeks?) ago. The snapshot is really up to date with the current repos so you shouldn't have too many problems...

#5 2006-06-04 19:45:33

Gullible Jones

egad wrote:

I am not sure where to stick this- and if it's inaporpiat please let me know that as well.
I am former ArchLinux user, and I am  currently using Suse 10.1-
(Please don't let me start a distro-flame war).

I am giving some  thought to moving back to Arch because Suse 10.1 has a long list of bugs, design flaws and other assorted issues that on the surface seem to be difficult to resolve.(At least acording to their own bugzilla bug tracker )

Before I make the move I thought it might be a good idea to find out from the Arch comunity what the current state of it these days is
i.e.:what sort of things to look out for, daily maintence "gotchas" that kind of thing.

This is interesting, I've heard quite good things about SuSE 10.1. Have they decided that AppArmor is an excuse to ignore updates, or something?

#6 2006-06-04 21:14:54

egad

Well-. Suse 10.1's AppArmor- an odd beast to be sure
Their seems to be quite a few questions about how it currently works, and interacts with various system components.
  OSNews, and TuxMachines both have done a few articles about Suse. TuxMachines seems to have some of the same concernes you do about AppArmor. Tux Machines brought up quite a few intereting and good questions about Software Updater and friends. According to the article thiers  a  oddity with the way AppArmor and or Yast2 and friends. They had a fairly important question, is AppArmor and or Yast2 now suposed to have fairly limited feedback if they are doing anything.Their good reviews and incourage everyone to read them.
edit-Pleas pardon my spelling and gramor mistakes-posted from my ibook, and it's getting beaten up by the heat. (105 today).

#7 2006-06-04 21:53:14

ralvez
Website

I was a Slackware user for over 6 years ... and moved to Arch almost 8 month ago, I use it in my prodcution machines (I'm a web developer -- python, php, mysql,actionscript and the like --) and I have to say: it just works.
Maintenance and keeping systems up-to-date is a thing of the past, since pacman does "all the lifting" and I just run it twice a week.
In my opinion Arch is as solid as Slack, faster and with the added advantage of pacman... If all that is not a good motivator to return, the only thing I can add is that girls seem to like Arch users  lol

#8 2006-06-05 03:48:35

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

ralvez wrote:

In my opinion Arch is as solid as Slack, faster and with the added advantage of pacman.

That is quite a statement.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2006-06-05 04:36:37

ScriptDevil

This can go to the unofficial Arch is Best thread

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#10 2006-06-05 06:45:02

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@cactus where is you star man? you got like a logo now sweeet!!!!

Mr Green

#11 2006-06-05 15:44:13

egad

Well officially dove in last night wile listening to some music
It could have been a hair smoother-I think that was user error. big_smile
It had problems finding swap, the first time.
Then the second time /mnt/home
Third time was a charmer.

I think see what you guys meen about pacman-man is it fast.

Just have things to iron out such as network time says i'm in the wrong timezone---even though time, day, and month are dead on. My next task will be to add some creature comforts such as a nice  suse style theme,  for KDE, and a framebuffer in the same style and coloring sheme. I'll also want to find out how to tell pacman to remind me what pacages I have.
Idealy foo then foo plops whatever pacman says into a textfile.
etc.etc.etc.
All in all so far if my only I think if my only complaints are aesthetics, a slightly smaller repo, and needing to learn how to do somethings---I'm home.  big_smile

I let:
pacman -Syu xorg kde nvidia-legacy run over night. (xorg 7)

updated nvidia from ABS this morning.
Wowy zowy! 

Am I correct that I'll probably want to post my I'm-a-newbie-to arch questions in Newbie?

All in all fairly paineless--thanks guys.

#12 2006-06-06 02:20:55

ScriptDevil

Am I correct that I'll probably want to post my I'm-a-newbie-to arch questions in Newbie?

Right. But it will be better if you post it in the relevent forums. Newbie is an all round forum for questions like is Arch for me??

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#13 2006-06-06 21:39:28

egad

Ok-sounds like a plan.
Have some tweaking to do here and their (like getting a working scroll weel).

Been playing a bunch of TuxRacer- my cheap old card got up 40fps :shock:

Thanks for the feedback

#14 2006-06-10 19:28:51

tlaloc

ralvez wrote:

... the only thing I can add is that girls seem to like Arch users  lol

Any examples? Photographs? Telephon-numbers? big_smile

#15 2006-06-10 19:44:48

profoX
Website

tlaloc wrote:
ralvez wrote:

... the only thing I can add is that girls seem to like Arch users  lol

Any examples? Photographs? Telephon-numbers? big_smile

Haha wink .

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#16 2006-06-12 19:48:24

jerem

In my opinion Arch is as solid as Slack, faster

Arch is faster than Slack, for sure.

But concerning stability, it depends on your point of view.

Arch has the very latest of critical packages and those are updated quite often (kernel, udev).

There is also the mkinitrd/mkinitcpio story...

Arch is quite stable, but frequent critical changes make it sometimes hard to maintain(as a sysadmin), and I happen to beak my fantastic Arch server.

#17 2006-06-12 22:18:34

ralvez
Website

jerem I agree with your points. The upgrade thing being one that I see as "sensitive". That's why although I run pacman twice a week I always take the time to read what is going to be upgraded and  if I notice something that may be an "issue" I hold back (on the specific package) and check the mailing list.
If I see problems I hold back until I "feel safe" and then upgrade the  "problem package".

Board footer