You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-30 05:14:55

Malvineous
Website

Video playback stops when switching VT

Hi all,

Since a recent Arch upgrade, when I switch between VTs (e.g. with Alt+Ctrl+F2) all video playback and some applications in the original VT temporarily freeze.

This is a problem for me because I use ffmpeg's "ffplay" to watch a live stream from a security camera, so if I switch to another VT, ffplay gets paused and starts buffering the data.  When I switch back, the "live" stream is then no longer live.  If I spent two minutes on the other VT, then the live stream becomes two minutes late.

This isn't an ffmpeg problem as I have noticed that some other programs also stop when switching VT.  mplayer also freezes, and some download managers for Firefox for example will stop downloading a few seconds after you switch to a different VT, then resume downloading when you switch back again.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  Since it happened some time in the last couple of months I'm not sure exactly what package upgrade caused this issue to appear.

You can clearly observe it by playing a video e.g. with mplayer, switching to another VT (Ctrl+Alt+F2) then switching back - the video will have paused while you were on the other VT.

Any ideas what is causing these freeze?  Are there syscalls that programs regularly use that start blocking if their VT is no longer active?

#2 2016-12-30 05:19:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Video playback stops when switching VT

Works fine for me.

Provide details of you setup: kernel, video card, driver etc.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-12-30 12:36:05

seth

Happens for me on nvidia/VDPAU, not on xv (and notably SW decoding)

#4 2016-12-31 00:37:07

Malvineous
Website

Interesting.  Latest stock Arch kernel.  Intel onboard video.  Not using xf86-video-intel due to major memory leaks, so not sure what driver I am actually using (framebuffer with Mesa maybe?)

@seth: You are right - it happens with "mplayer -vo vdpau" but not with "mplayer -vo xv".  Must be something to do with sharing vdpau between VTs?

Board footer