You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-01 22:09:29

FMB

Cannot use Compose key or dead keys in urxvt when fcitx is running

I normally use a Compose key (I set it to ralt), so that, for instance, when I type <Compose><'><e> I get an accented e letter (é). I set it this way:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"
        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
        Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,compose:ralt"
EndSection

This works perfectly fine when fcitx is not running and I type Latin script. However, sometimes I want to use other scripts like CJK, Greek or Cyrillic, which is the reason why I use fcitx. When this program is running, I cannot use the Compose key in the default method (Keyboard - English (USA)), nor can I use dead keys in urxvt (it works fine in Firefox and GTK applications): for instance, when I use the Greek layout, <;><a> should render ά, or with the French layout <a><[> (the latter actually labelled ^ in AZERTY) should render â (I only get α and a). This is the configuration I use in .xinitrc (I use AwesomeWM):

export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export XMODIFIERS="@im=fcitx"
export XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/fcitx

And in .Xresources:

URxvt*inputMethod: fcitx
URxvt*preeditType: OnTheSpot,None

Last edited by FMB (2017-01-01 22:13:02)

#2 2017-07-28 14:06:00

spoonm

Re: Cannot use Compose key or dead keys in urxvt when fcitx is running

I don't use a compose key, but I'm having the same problem with dead keys in urxvt with fcitx.

Having looked frantically online for similar issues, I believe it may be worth looking into fcitx's XIM front-end. Disabling that addon will disable fcitx entirely on urxvt, though it does bring back my BR-ABNT2 behavior.

#3 2017-09-03 17:17:16

grim7reaper

Re: Cannot use Compose key or dead keys in urxvt when fcitx is running

I have exactly the same problem: when fcitx is running my Compose key doesn't work in URxvt.
Note that this doesn't seems to be specific to URxvt: I have the same problem in XTerm for instance (so it seems to be related to XIM, because GTK and Qt applications works fine).
As a temporary workaround, I downgraded fcitx to 4.2.8.6 (the problem appears from the version 4.2.9) and now my Compose key works fine along fcitx in URxvt.

That being said, from my pacman.log I can see that I use the version 4.2.9.* of fcitx since May 2015 and it was working perfectly fine until recently so the root cause is probably not in fcitx hmm

Hope that helps.

Board footer