You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-02 01:11:27

Funkless
Website

[SOLVED] Switching back from failed OSS installation to ALSA

Solved: see here

Hi every one, I'm writing down here because I have a double issue: the original was that the audio of my pc in Arch was distorting at a certain point after I was listening to any audio, and that "boogieman" sound distortion remained until I restarted the pc.
To try to find a solution to that, I tried to switch from the default ALSA to OSS but with no success (audio disappeared completely). Today I removed OSS and installed back ALSA but imagine what? It's not working... Joking aside, I read the wiki under the "configuration" tab and then launched the command "alsactl init" with the following output:

alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

alsactl: init:1757: No soundcards found...

Then I searched the internet and I found out that I had to blacklist the module "snd_intel8x0m" in "/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf". Besides that this file was not existing, I created it and writed the "blacklist snd_intel8x0m" command into it.  Now, when I had to run the "modprobe snd_intel8x0" to start it I got the following output

modprobe: ERROR: Error running install command for soundcore
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_intel8x0': Operation not permitted

Searched the internet, found out this topic, tried some solutions written there but with no success; the module is not listed in lsmod even after a restart. I mean, I think that the problem is that, the module isn't loading at all but how to load it properly? And if we can get it to work, how to fix the first issue if it's still there? Thanks for the answers.

Last edited by Funkless (2017-01-05 20:09:20)

“We are Bringing Them the Plague”

#2 2017-01-02 06:38:43

ooo

Re: [SOLVED] Switching back from failed OSS installation to ALSA

If you followed arch wiki to the letter to install OSS, I'd guess you forgot to remove the line about blacklisting 'soundcore' in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa_blacklist.conf, while reverting back to ALSA.

Even if that's not the case, the issue seems to be something related to the 'soundcore' module.

I'm also wondering from where you read about running 'alsactl init'? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in arch wiki ALSA page, and afaik running the command shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by ooo (2017-01-02 06:42:03)

#3 2017-01-02 19:27:23

Funkless
Website

I'm also wondering from where you read about running 'alsactl init'? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in arch wiki ALSA page, and afaik running the command shouldn't be necessary.

I found it out in the italian Arch Wiki , it's related to how to configure Alsa in Virtualbox, but I just used it anyway to get some kind of response.

Getting back to the problem, now I've deleted the line about blacklisting "soundcore" that you told me, and did

# modprobe soundcore

and just to be sure

# modprobe snd_intel8x0

"lsmod"'d with "grep" with both modules and found that they were loaded successfully. Restarted the system and selected the input and output sound devices in Settings>Audio and now all works correctly (Note: in the wiki I read that you have to do "alsamixer" and turn up the master volume, I also did this before the restart just to be sure).

Now the audio is back but I don't know if it still gives the original issue. I'll let you know and if it doesn't I'll mark as "SOLVED".

Thanks again.

#4 2017-01-03 22:36:03

ooo

Glad I could help.

If your original issue with ALSA persists, you could just open a new thread about it.

#5 2017-01-05 20:06:57

Funkless
Website

No more issues right now, thanks again, I'll mark as "Solved".

Board footer