You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-02 20:21:42

apastuszak
Website

Overgrive vs InSyncHQ for a Googl Drive client

Has anyone used either of these as a Google Drive sync client?

I currently use InSyncHQ, but they're changing their pricing and want me to pony up another $30.  Overgrive seems to cost $5.00 one time fee.  Overgrive seems like the better deal.

Does anyone use Overgrive?  How is it?

#2 2017-01-03 11:18:47

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Re: Overgrive vs InSyncHQ for a Googl Drive client

From this it seems you don't have to pay again if you already have an Insync account - you'll be able to keep your existing plan. The catch is, if you had the plus plan (i.e. you paid the one time fee of $10 for a single google account) and you refuse to hand over more money to be transitioned to their new prime plan then you'll be stuck at version 1.x forever.

I don't have experience with Overgrive or any other google drive clients as I stopped using google drive some time ago. But I seem to remember that GNOME added support for google drive about a year back. I don't know whether you need the whole GNOME desktop + Nautilus for that or whether you can just get away with installing gnome-online-accounts and gvfs-google but maybe you want to give that a try because it's free (and open source).

Last edited by Chazza (2017-01-03 11:28:38)

#3 2017-01-03 13:33:43

apastuszak
Website

Chazza wrote:

From this it seems you don't have to pay again if you already have an Insync account - you'll be able to keep your existing plan. The catch is, if you had the plus plan (i.e. you paid the one time fee of $10 for a single google account) and you refuse to hand over more money to be transitioned to their new prime plan then you'll be stuck at version 1.x forever.

I don't have experience with Overgrive or any other google drive clients as I stopped using google drive some time ago. But I seem to remember that GNOME added support for google drive about a year back. I don't know whether you need the whole GNOME desktop + Nautilus for that or whether you can just get away with installing gnome-online-accounts and gvfs-google but maybe you want to give that a try because it's free (and open source).

Gnome does indeed have Google Drive support.  But the support is online only.  It doesn't do syncing the way a dedicated client does.

The latest announcement I read today on Insync's forums now say that Plus users will be offered free Prime upgrades for a limited time.

I wish Google would just make a Google Drive client for Linux and be done with it.  They offer Linux desktops/laptops to their employees.  I'm sure they have an internal Google Drive client.

#4 2017-01-03 13:56:16

ugjka
Website

apastuszak wrote:

The latest announcement I read today on Insync's forums now say that Plus users will be offered free Prime upgrades for a limited time.

Keep us posted when free upgrade promo starts.

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#5 2017-01-03 16:23:58

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Thanks for the clarification re GNOME google drive and prime upgrades apastuszak. I'll be on the lookout for the prime upgrade myself as I might need google drive again one day. I'll post here if I spot anything. And yes, that google hasn't provided their own Linux client after all these years really doesn't make any sense.

#6 2017-01-31 19:55:14

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

I got an email from Insync today saying they've upgraded me from plus to prime automatically so it doesn't look like you have to do anything.

#7 2017-04-10 02:50:40

apastuszak
Website

I got the same email but when I login InsyncHQ website, it is prompting me to buy Prime.  I have sent an email to their support team.

Board footer