You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-03 16:50:25

Gasp0de

Setting up a bootsplash using plymouth

Hi everyone.
I'm on a more or less fresh install of arch linux, and I decided to install plymouth to get a nice bootsplash. I followed the
Plymouth wiki article, so what I did was:

1. Install plymouth from the aur.
2. install gdm-plymouth (I'm using Gnome and gdm)
3. disable gdm and enable gdm-plymouth
3. added plymouth hook in mkinitcpio.conf (after base and udev)
4. added {{Ic|quiet splash}} to kernel parameters (I'm using systemd-boot)
5. rebuilt initrd image with {{Ic|mkinitcpio -p linux}}

However, when I reboot, the splashscreen keeps on showing, and I never actually get to see the login screen. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? When I use the installation medium to remove quiet splash kernel params, it boots again, but without a splash screen, obviously.

Gasp0de

Last edited by Gasp0de (2017-01-04 09:56:09)

#2 2017-01-23 09:34:10

Inixi

Re: Setting up a bootsplash using plymouth

I also have problem with Plymouth and I also use gdm-plymouth with systemd-boot. But ot be more specific what my steps were:
1. Configure early KMS - In file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf in the line with MODULES I have put MODULES="i915" (I use Intel and nothing else)
2. Configure hooks in mkinitcpio.conf - hooks line looks like `HOOKS="base udev plymouth ..."
3. I then have run `mkinitcpio -p linux-lts` (Yes, currently I am running on LTS kernel, because 4.8 is EOL).
4. In entries file for systemd-boot I have put `options    root=/dev/sda2 rw quiet splash` - not sure if that is ok...
5. disable `gdm` service and enable `gdm-plymouth` service

The effect is that I have plymouth running but in fallback text mode, this means that I have only `starting version 232` on screen and nothing else, no bootsplash. It's strange thing, because when I go to console mode and preview screen it runs ok.
Is there something missing?

2020 ASUS Zephyrus G14

#3 2017-01-23 10:53:12

Inixi

Ok...
One thing that was missing...
In the wiki page I understood the meaning of ShowDelay option wrong... my problem is solved ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2020 ASUS Zephyrus G14

#4 2017-01-23 10:57:05

Inixi

@Gasp0de, did you set the KMS to use module of your graphics card?
From my experience I can tell that you should use this setting and also disable any framebuffer setting from bootloader and also from linux image settings.

2020 ASUS Zephyrus G14

Board footer