You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-05 15:34:24

cassebas

[SOLVED] MATLAB Simulink not working properly

Hi, I wonder if any Archlinux + Matlab user has experienced the same problem I have.

I recently installed Matlab R2016b using the Matlab installer. Matlab itself works ok, but when I try to run Simulink I get a warning:

Warning: Unable to start MATLABWindow process
> In sltemplate.ui.StartPage/showStartPageFallback
  In sltemplate.ui.StartPage.show

After hitting the Simulink button this warning is shown and only the Simulink Library Browser appears, but not the Simulink window.

Strangely, I *can* get Simulink to run (discovered by coincidence) by issuing '>> demo' and then selecting a Simulink demo. Then the simulink window is shown and I can use it, e.g. drag components onto it from the library browser, simulate, etc. Also the plot window works now.

I'm running 64-bits Archlinux, I have a Matlab license from my University. I have 4G of memory onboard, currently 1.5G unused (doesn't seem to be a memory problem). I have installed the older GCC version as was described on the Arch wiki Matlab page (gcc 4.9).

Has anyone seen the same problem?
Thnxs

Last edited by cassebas (2017-03-29 12:38:52)

#2 2017-01-15 16:19:22

xinit

Re: [SOLVED] MATLAB Simulink not working properly

Finally I found some time and motivation to download and install the full set of Matlab toolboxes (including Simulink).
Using Matlab R2016b (also student license) I have the same error message, when I start Simulink.
However the Simulink library browser appears (same as for you).

Another solution: You can start a new model from the library menu: Drop down menu > Model.

#3 2017-01-16 14:36:51

cassebas

Re: [SOLVED] MATLAB Simulink not working properly

Indeed, the simulink itself was working, it was the Simulink start page that didn't show. I asked Mathworks support, with their answer I was able to fix the issue:

"
We believe the issue is that the linux that you are using does not install some required libraries by default. So you might have to install a few packages and it would work. Please have a look at the following link:

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral … w-on-linux

Like also mentioned in the link, please try to execute the following commands in MATLAB:

>> cd(matlabroot)
>> cd bin/glnxa64
>> !./MATLABWindow -url=http://mathworks.com --disable-gpu

If the output also points to a missing library, please install those.
"

Although it was a small issue and was reluctant to install selinux, I decided to try and presto, problem fixed. I installed libsepol and libselinux from the aur. I don't have a selinux kernel, installing the libraries mentioned is enough.

Board footer