You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-06 09:10:08

addicted

Recover File

Hi, Yesterday i deleted a folder containing 300GB data.
But when i tried to use extundelete, it only recovered some 50GB data although i didn't used that drive after deletion.
ext4magic also shows same files as extundelete.
Is this something to do with ext4 journal having no info about file?

If so will regenerating journal will store all files & inodes currently present( not deleted) to it.So in future it'll be handy for file recovery?

Is there some special steps for that like way to mount that drive etc for journal to be working?

#2 2017-01-06 16:37:56

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Recover File

If I were you, I would have first cloned the drive and worked with the copy.  If you've the ability, I would do that now.  Sadly, I've no good suggestions for ext4 file recovery.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-01-06 16:52:12

shulamy

testdisk and photorec ?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

ezik

#4 2017-01-09 04:50:11

addicted

I can't make clone of 2TB hdd.
all my other 2TB hdd are almost 75% each.
I tried photorec, but it recovered files perfectly that i deleted (as they were not needed) like 2 years ago.
It also recovered files that i deleted recently but most of those files damaged & don't need to say they are named randomly.
Sad.Don't know why it didn't properly recovered recently deleted files.

Anyway, i'm loking for way to permanently storing files.(They won't be modified that much over time). ext4 is good performance fs.
But which fs is more towards secure storing.(provide some measure to prevent data loss)

#5 2017-01-09 05:24:45

HiImTye

you haven't told us anything about the data type you're trying to recover, so we can't really give good suggestions, aside from general advice.
general advice would be unmount the drive, and either a) find a suitable tool for recovery, make sure you have enough space on the target drive; or b) use your restore point. alternate options are restoring from backup, if you backup regularly.

as for secure storing, the best options would be either ZFS, or BTRFS, while BTRFS isn't considered production ready.

Last edited by HiImTye (2017-01-09 05:26:38)

#6 2017-01-09 05:38:46

i_love_r34

Nobody is safe of silent data corruption
The best fs I know is ZFS because have measures against data corruption and autorepair damaged files.
And the best tip for avoid data loss/corruption is saving the hard drive out from the static electricy.

Regards.

Board footer