Hi there,

the app won't start anymore, here's what I got:

ERROR: Exception in main()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 446, in main
    obj.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 201, in run
    notebook, page = self.build_notebook()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 165, in build_notebook
    notebookinfo, page = self.get_notebook_argument() 	# can raise NotebookLookupError
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 196, in get_notebook_argument
    return prompt()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 187, in prompt
    import zim.gui.notebookdialog
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/gui/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Blend_Coordinates
  File "/usr/bin/zim", line 53, in <module>
    exitcode = zim.main.main(*argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/main.py", line 452, in main
    zim.errors.exception_handler('Exception in main()')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/errors.py", line 101, in exception_handler
    _run_error_dialog(error)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/errors.py", line 71, in _run_error_dialog
    from zim.gui.widgets import ErrorDialog
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zim/gui/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Blend_Coordinates

What I've tried (after reading the arch wiki page for zim):  deleting allzim related  configuration /  cache / tmp files, unfortunately without any success.
System is up to date.

Downgrading of Zim or python (wild guess) hasn't worked also.

Now I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions / hints? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by wattaist (2017-01-07 22:02:29)

#2 2017-01-07 22:00:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Zim Desktop doesn't start anymore

What versions of Zim and harfbuzz?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-01-07 22:03:44

wattaist

Hi Jason,

Zim 0.65-4 and harfbuzz 1.4.1-1

Thanks

#4 2017-01-07 22:04:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

File a bug report.

#5 2017-01-07 22:06:13

wattaist

OK, downgrading harfbuzz did the thing - seems related to that package (works with version 1.3.3.1)

#6 2017-01-07 22:07:35

wattaist

OK (will be my first bug report ever smile )

#7 2017-01-07 22:08:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Zim needs to be rebuilt against the new harfbuzz lib: opening a bug report will alert the maintainer.

#8 2017-01-08 10:31:58

TheCoon

wattaist wrote:

OK, downgrading harfbuzz did the thing - seems related to that package (works with version 1.3.3.1)

wattaist, I can confirm the same issue occurred on my system with Terminator (0.98-2 - intentionally not upgrading) and other pygtk-dependent applications.
Downgrading harfbuzz fixes it for now.

Attempting to launch Terminator from a different terminal gave this output:

You need to install the python bindings for gobject, gtk and pango to run Terminator.

Also, importing gtk within python2 produced this error:

$ python2
>>> import gtk
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk

#9 2017-01-08 12:12:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TheCoon wrote:

I can confirm the same issue occurred on my system with Terminator (0.98-2 - intentionally not upgrading)

How is that the same issue?  The OP's problem is due to what looks like a packaging bug at the level of the arch linux dev.  The current version of zim needs to be rebuilt against the libs that are in the repos.  Your problem is that you are doing partial upgrades.  It's not at all surprising that holding back a package but updating it's dependencies will cause problems.  You can't say the version of Terminator in the repos needs to be rebuilt because you are not using that version.  You can't say it is a packaging bug at the level of the arch linux dev as you are ignoring their work.  So it's really not the same issue at all.

EDIT: while this is a very different symptom, it is indeed the same cause.  Not a packaging bug, but the infinality packages are the problem.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2017-01-08 14:57:36

Scimmia
Fellow

Unsupported freetype2 packages are unsupported.

#11 2017-01-08 20:18:54

gvaram

Hello!
I had similar problem "/usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Blend_Coordinate"; Several applications including virtualbox weren't starting. Removing infinality fixed it for me...

#12 2017-01-08 20:42:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Yes, my bad: I missed the FT error message in the log. It is not a bug.

#13 2017-01-09 10:13:02

nourathar

I am encountering the same error message when trying to import PyQt4.
Am I understanding correctly from Scimmia's comment that there is now some incompatibility between infinality and libharfbuzz that is somehow causing this ?
And that options are to either temporarily downgrade libharfbuzz or ditch infinality ?

EDIT: the issue with infinality is more thoroughly discussed here
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221649
I didn't catch that before posting this comment !

Last edited by nourathar (2017-01-09 10:19:19)

#14 2017-01-10 10:17:00

jbothma

I had the same issue with gdal/geos/postgis/geodjango but the real culprit was infinality as above. Logging my experience for googlability and quick solution

File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/backends/postgis/base.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .features import DatabaseFeatures
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/backends/postgis/features.py", line 1, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.db.backends.base.features import BaseSpatialFeatures
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/backends/base/features.py", line 3, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.db.models import aggregates
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/models/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.geos import HAS_GEOS
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from .geometry import GEOSGeometry, wkt_regex, hex_regex
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/geometry.py", line 10, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.gdal.error import SRSException
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/gdal/__init__.py", line 47, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.gdal.driver import Driver  # NOQA
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/gdal/driver.py", line 5, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.gdal.prototypes import ds as vcapi, raster as rcapi
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/gdal/prototypes/ds.py", line 9, in <module>
    from django.contrib.gis.gdal.libgdal import lgdal
  File "/home/jdb/proj/code4sa/cbm/umibukela/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/gdal/libgdal.py", line 48, in <module>
    lgdal = CDLL(lib_path)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 362, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Blend_Coordinates

Replacing infinality with freetype2 solved it so I didn't have to hold harfbuzz back. For me the pacman command had to be as follows:

sudo pacman -S freetype2 fontconfig lib32-freetype2 lib32-fontconfig lib32-cairo

Board footer