You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-09 01:08:24

gpatrick

Is there any arch based distro that doesn't have the microcode issue?

Is there any arch based distro that doesn't have the intel microcode issue?   Yes, I tried searching google & the forum but may have not worded my search correctly.

Last edited by gpatrick (2017-01-09 01:29:38)

#2 2017-01-09 01:13:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Is there any arch based distro that doesn't have the microcode issue?

What microcode "issue"?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-01-09 01:52:35

gpatrick

I edited my other post.  I was referring to the Intel microcode issue that cause problem with dual booting other operating systems.   I tried different ways to boot an arch based distro using another grub from a non arch based distro and it worked for a little bit on some distros but always ended in kernel fault.   

Here is quote from another site.

Arch implements the loading of Intel processor microcode updates at boot differently from other distributions. While other distributions include the microcode into the initramfs (the replacement of the initrd) image, Arch leaves this as a separate image, which is loaded by Arch's GRUB at the same time as the initramfs. Because the implementation of GRUB through the scripts in /etc/grub.d/ by other distrubutions doesn't account for this difference, other distributions' GRUB try to load the microcode image as if it was the actual initramfs, resulting in an immediate kernel panic.

I was just wanting to know if there is any arch based distros that includes the microcode in the initramfs.

Last edited by gpatrick (2017-01-09 01:54:28)

#4 2017-01-09 02:00:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Why not just use chain loading in Grub rather than trying to use the same GRUB? It doesn't take much space at all.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2017-01-10 22:40:56

teateawhy
Website

Make your own bootloader installation in a place that doesn't get overwritten by the other distros installer and chainload everything from there.

Board footer