You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-12 12:59:00

claudiogc

[SOLVED]Problem with weird characters in my system.

Hi!

I installed Arch and infinality-bundle but i cannot use my command terminal and Firefox because of these weird characters:
https://postimg.org/image/v26ti2gj3/

Yes i've read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts but i don't understand which fonts i have to install.

I have two questions for you people.

1- How can i fix it?

2- Is there any complete package of fonts(math, chinese, japanese, russian) you can indicate me?
I know, there is a lot of links in https://postimg.org/image/v26ti2gj3/, but i don't know which one to choose!

Should i have to install all of it so i don't have font problems anymore? Because thats what i want.

Last edited by claudiogc (2017-01-12 23:44:47)

#2 2017-01-12 13:01:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Problem with weird characters in my system.

Remove infinality.  See any of the dozens of the forums posts on why - infinality is no longer maintained and is outdated.

However, that may not actually be the cause of this issue (it will cause others).  This problem is also very well covered on the forums - you need to install at least one font with monospace.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-01-12 13:07:57

claudiogc

Trilby wrote:

Remove infinality.  See any of the dozens of the forums posts on why - infinality is no longer maintained and is outdated.

However, that may not actually be the cause of this issue (it will cause others).  This problem is also very well covered on the forums - you need to install at least one font with monospace.

Thanks for you help!

Could you indicate me an complete package of fonts like in my question (2)? The biggest problem is there are too many options in there and i don't know which one to choose.

Last edited by claudiogc (2017-01-12 13:09:10)

#4 2017-01-12 13:10:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Search the repos, ttf-dejavu is common, ttf-droid is also nice - there are hundreds of others.  If you have fonts installed and this is still a problem it is likely due to having a broken fontconfig due to infinality.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-01-12 13:17:00

claudiogc

Trilby wrote:

Search the repos, ttf-dejavu is common, ttf-droid is also nice - there are hundreds of others.  If you have fonts installed and this is still a problem it is likely due to having a broken fontconfig due to infinality.

I thought infinality-bundle was a font package too, not just for rendering.

So, no i guess not, i don't have fonts installed. When i installed chrome i saw many fonts in the install package list. And for a better fonts rendering, is there a substitute for infinality?

Last edited by claudiogc (2017-01-12 13:17:35)

#6 2017-01-12 13:26:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

claudiogc wrote:

And for a better fonts rendering, is there a substitute for infinality?

Please see almost any of the recently active threads.  The infinality issues and methods people have taken to get similar configs with the proper packages has been covered ad naseum over the past several days.

#7 2017-01-12 13:27:27

claudiogc

Trilby wrote:
claudiogc wrote:

And for a better fonts rendering, is there a substitute for infinality?

Please see almost any of the recently active thread.  The infinality issues and methods people have taken to get similar configs with the proper packages has been covered ad naseum over the past several days.

Ok, i'll do. Thanks!

#8 2017-01-12 23:44:30

claudiogc

Problem fixed.

I installed ttf-dejavu and now everything is working fine.

Board footer