You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-14 00:02:37

s0je

unable to install display manager

hello, i successfully install arch with archiso in UEFI mode
the boot process seems to be ok (with grub)

but when i try to install xfce and lightdm i have a problem that i try to solve for 3 days...
i searched on internet and on the site but solutions don't work

symptoms :
- xinit hangs ("haiting for x server to begin accepting connexions", unkillable process)
- lspci hangs (no response, can't access to console, unkillable process) but lsusb is ok, so it seems that i have a problem with my PCI bus
- systemctl start lightdm give me a black screen with a blinking cursor at the corner left

my harware is a laptop which countain an intel i5 processor, gtx 960m, 120g SSD (sda) and 1T hdd (sdb) not used in my current partition scheme

moreover, i have an extra question about UEFI and partitioning :
my root (/) is mounted on /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda1 countain my EFI system in vfat, but it's not mounted in my filesystem. Is that normal ? Should i mount it myself in /boot or something ?
Is it normal that i don't have a /boot/efi folder and that /boot/grub is empty ?

thanks a lot !

#2 2017-01-14 02:25:30

s0je

Re: unable to install display manager

i definitely think it's a problem with my graphic card and not with UEFI

i tryed a live linux and it freeze at the logo when i hit "try ubuntu"
i edited the setting with "nomodeset" option (whith tells the kernet to not load the video driver) and it worked !

i will try to find the good drivers for my video card

edit : the nvidia site says my nvidia drivers needs to ve in version 375.26 : http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe … 2992/en-us
i checked the package version and it was 375.26...
i tryed to reinstall the package with pacman -S extra/nvidia but it change nothins to my problems...

edit 2 : i booted into archlinux with nomodeset option and i can now start xinit and run lspci without issues. startxfce4 works too with this option
but systemctl start lightdm still hanging

Last edited by s0je (2017-01-14 03:32:47)

#3 2017-01-14 11:26:38

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: unable to install display manager

You have a laptop with optimus, which is primarily driven by the integrated intel card by default and needs the mesa drivers. You can configure that to exclusively use the Nvidia card by following the configuration outlined here.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … ing_nvidia

Board footer