You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-18 08:38:20

yaspoon

Steam Borderlands 2 won't launch from steam but does from terminal

Clicking the Borderlands "Play" button in steam will open the launching dialog and it will then close with no errors.

Opening a terminal and cd'ing into $STEAMDIR/common/steamapps/Borderlands 2
and then running the exe ./Borderlands2 works fine.

My current dirty hack is to right click Borderlands 2 in steam -> properties -> set launch options
paste in LD_PRELOAD="/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so ./libcxxrt.so" %COMMAND%
click ok

Borderlands 2 will now work via launching it via steam. The ldPreload for gameoverlayrenderer.so is to fix the steam overlay not working.
Because if you launch steam from the command line it will have the following error without the gameoverlayrenderer ldpreload: ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

The libcxxrt.so ldpreload fixes the following errors:
/media/storage/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/media/storage/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/media/storage/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

But the libcxxrt.so provided with borderlands 2 is still mapped in. The following is the pastebin output from /prox/`pid`/maps
http://pastebin.com/dxv0ZunM

#2 2017-01-18 16:56:15

JohnBobSmith

Re: Steam Borderlands 2 won't launch from steam but does from terminal

Does the game launch without hacks if you turn off the ingame overlay within steam itself? Steam > settings > in-game > untick "Enable the steam overlay while in-game." Unless something changed recently, steam is a 32 bit application. Therefore, I'm not sure why it's complaining about a 32 bit ELF class error... If you haven't already, you may as well try verifying the integrity of the game cache. I'm not sure how to interpret your /prox output, but maybe someone else can help with that. smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2017-01-27 08:43:35

yaspoon

Hello JohnBobSmith

I had already tried turning off the in game overlay and verifying the game cache. So I must have something weird going on with my system.
The proc output was to show that even though it "failed" to load the libcxxrt.so it actually was loaded because if you grep through the proc output it shows libcxxrt.so being loaded from the
Borderlands directory.

Thanks for the ideas anyway smile

#4 2017-01-27 09:25:22

fabertawe

This works for me in launch options...

SSL_CERT_DIR="/etc/ssl/certs" LD_PRELOAD='./libcxxrt.so:/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' %command%

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#5 2018-07-28 18:13:16

ecruzolivera

SSL_CERT_DIR="/etc/ssl/certs" LD_PRELOAD='./libcxxrt.so:/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' %command% -nostartupmovies

Board footer