You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-24 19:16:46

aenda

Null characters appearing in terminal briefly after boot

Hi,

I recently got a new laptop (2016 HP Spectre x360) and installed Arch on it in a dual-boot with Windows. I am having an odd issue that I cannot seem to find any information about and may be hardware-specific. Immediately after boot, when the login prompt appears, null characters ("^@") will be typed in groups of 3, with about a second in between each group. This goes on for about 30 seconds and then stops.

While this is going on, I have no keyboard issues and can type normally, I just have to wait for this to run its course because the null characters will appear while I am typing my username and password and make it impossible to log in. Hence, this is not a critical problem, but having to wait the extra 30 seconds is slightly annoying and this is frankly a rather odd issue that has piqued my interest.

I really have no idea what would be causing this and what I should try and read up on to troubleshoot this error - all I have done so far is verified that systemd is not reporting any errors during boot.

Thanks for your help!

#2 2017-01-24 19:44:47

TheSgtBilko

Re: Null characters appearing in terminal briefly after boot

Just confirming the same issue (HP laptop with skylake i5-6500U) logging in at tty.
I don't use any DM so I have no clue about that.

"intel-ucode" and "linux-firmware" are installed.

I've seen a few posts asking about this but no solution so far.

#3 2017-03-15 18:33:49

acommn

Same problem with my HP Spectre X360 13-4103DX (Intel i7 6500U Skylake).

I think it is related to the 'lid virtual button', since it happens whenever I open the lid (after closing it of course). Can reproduce it on a TTY login prompt (just reopen the lid and you'll see those nice '^@') and during a Gnome shell session (for some reason that button is bound to the 'airplane mode' action, and my wifi connection goes off, doesn't matter if resuming a suspend or just reopening the lid).

I'm trying to find a solution disabling that virtual button with UDEV.

#4 2017-03-15 18:44:30

acommn

Found a temporal solution in another post:

1. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=213094

Using xmodmap to assign 'NoSymbol' to that button. Works well.

Now for me, the question would be, how to make Gnome load my '.Xmodmap' resource file?

#5 2017-03-15 23:06:23

cirrus
Website

acommn wrote:

Now for me, the question would be, how to make Gnome load my '.Xmodmap' resource file?

For more details, see Remap keys on GNOME3.8 using xmodmap?
I'm not a gnome user so there might well be other/better methods, if so im sure somone will chime in.

Board footer