You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-25 03:10:49

DarrenHaynes

[solved] Arch Not Booting from USB in UEFI alongside Ubuntu 16.04

Aloha,

I did do search on google and this forum but while I found somewhat related questions asked, I didn't find anything that 100% fits this issue.

I am trying to boot arch linux in UEFI with secure boot diabled in an attempt to dual boot with Ubuntu. Ubuntu 16.04 is the only operating system on my Lenovo thinkpad w540. I installed ubuntu just yesterday erasing windows 7 and filling the disk with ubuntu; I did this in UEFI mode.

When I try to boot arch in UEFI this is the screen I get :
ddc48j.jpg

Bigger pic: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=70wak7&s=9#.WIgQvt9idCU

If I hit enter on arch then I am just taken to a black screen and nothing happens.

If I change boot to legacy, the standard arch install screen comes up however.

I am just wondering if its possible to boot arch in UEFI mode, in this case? Also, would it be an issue to install arch in legacy mode if ubuntu is in UEFI mode? I know that's an issue if an a linux install is on a different boot to windows, but not sure about dual linux booting...  If it is an issue then I am thinking to just reinstall Ubuntu in legacy mode and then install arch in legacy mode. I would however, prefer to stick with the newer UEFI if possible and not overly complex.

Last edited by DarrenHaynes (2017-01-30 01:28:33)

#2 2017-01-25 03:13:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [solved] Arch Not Booting from USB in UEFI alongside Ubuntu 16.04

Read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-01-25 03:14:25

DarrenHaynes

ok, will resize pic now

#4 2017-01-25 04:14:03

Zorbik

Have you tried the first option when the menu starts up? If your machine supports UEFI, there shouldn't be any reason that option doesn't work. There shouldn't be a reason that the second or third options need to be used for the average user afaik, however someone can correct me if I am wrong since I guess they are there for a reason.

#5 2017-01-25 04:59:11

DarrenHaynes

Hi Zorbik - if you mean the first option on the pic "Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD", then yep, I tried it a few times, it just goes to a black screen when I hit enter and nothing else happens. Also if I don't click enter quick (within about 5 secs or so) then it automatically goes to the black screen too. However if I hit the arrow button to highlight one of the other options (in the pic you see I have "UEFI Shell x86_64 v1" highlighted) then it doesn't automatically go to the black screen after about 5 secs or so.

#6 2017-01-25 07:51:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please explain exactly how you created the systemd-boot menu entries that are needed to boot both Arch & Ubuntu.

As no menu entries are shown for these, you must have either neglected to create them or you have not placed them in the correct location.

The only entry shown appears to be from the Arch live ISO, perhaps you copied that to your system by mistake.

I'm really sorry, just read the OP again and had some more coffee...

So you are just trying to boot the Arch ISO image then?

Have you tried disabling KMS for your graphics card?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … odesetting

EDIT: also, it is possible to install Arch in non-UEFI mode and Ubuntu in UEFI mode and have GRUB boot both from non-legacy firmware.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-25 08:00:20)

#7 2017-01-27 19:54:58

DarrenHaynes

Thanks Head_on_a_Stick - I tried disabling KMS with nomodeset and the options "nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0" and "nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0", but to no avail.

I find an older thread on this forum about Lenovos having this issue, and my laptop is from around that period, although that was mostly with regards to updating existing arch installations. A little more looking around and googling brought me to the bootstrap option. So I managed to get arch installed via a live ubuntu usb and its dual booting fine. Updated grub on the Ubuntu install and I get the option to boot to arch or ubuntu, awesome.

There is one thing that happens, and I'm not sure if it is an issue because I can dual boot into ubuntu or arch just fine, is that I get this message when I turn on the computer:

"Error loading /vmlinuz-linux: Not Found
Failed to execute (null) (\vmlinuz-linux): Not Found"

I am immediately taken to grub menu after the message, so it doesn't stop me booting.

#8 2017-01-27 20:20:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

DarrenHaynes wrote:

There is one thing that happens, and I'm not sure if it is an issue because I can dual boot into ubuntu or arch just fine, is that I get this message when I turn on the computer:

"Error loading /vmlinuz-linux: Not Found
Failed to execute (null) (\vmlinuz-linux): Not Found"

I am immediately taken to grub menu after the message, so it doesn't stop me booting.

Can we see the output of:

# efibootmgr -v

The content of /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or at least the Arch stanza) in your Ubuntu system would probably also be illuminating, perhaps upload that to a pastebin and link to it here?

#9 2017-01-27 21:33:02

DarrenHaynes

Here is link to the pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/yjsa7kUH

The output of 'efibootmgr -v' is not encouraging:

"-bash: efibootmgr: command not found"

#10 2017-01-27 21:52:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

DarrenHaynes wrote:

Here is link to the pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/yjsa7kUH

That shows that you did not mount /boot to the EFI system partition when installing Arch but instead have that directory on the root partition (sda6).

EDIT: this explains the error message you get at first, I think systemd-boot is looking for the kernel image on the ESP and failing.

The output of 'efibootmgr -v' is not encouraging:

"-bash: efibootmgr: command not found"

Despair not!

# pacman -Syu efibootmgr

big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-27 21:57:26)

#11 2017-01-27 23:02:54

DarrenHaynes

Thank you smile
I had to take a pic of the efibootmgr -v since I don't have graphics on the install or anyway that I know of to copy paste text
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j4ees6 … IvQrIE76Ec

#12 2017-01-27 23:30:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

So the Arch systemd-boot entry (0017) tries first and fails (?no kernel image on ESP) then 0016 loads up your Ubuntu GRUB menu.

Looks like you need to mount the EFI system partition (sda1 sda2, sorry) to /boot in your Arch system and re-install the kernel image and systemd-boot, presuming that you have already created $ESP/loader/entries/arch.conf (or so).

To be sure, full details of your installation process would save me from this guessing game smile

Also, rather than posting images of text, why not use a pastebin client and post the URL instead?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … in_clients

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-27 23:33:30)

#13 2017-01-29 04:28:44

DarrenHaynes

Thanks - a lot this is new to me so I didn't know about pastebin from the command line, that's pretty cool

I came to the conclusion to reinstall arch. I had been looking at 2 manuals during the first install and ended up causing my self an issue. I had a 'boot/efi/EFI/' folder structure instead of just 'boot/EFI/'.

I though maybe to move EFI recursively to 'efi' to remove the extra folder, but thought it might get messy. So reinstall it was.

#14 2017-01-29 12:08:11

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

DarrenHaynes wrote:

I had been looking at 2 manuals during the first install

And you have now discovered why there is only One True Guide that should be followed...

lol

DarrenHaynes wrote:

I had a 'boot/efi/EFI/' folder structure instead of just 'boot/EFI/'.

I though maybe to move EFI recursively to 'efi' to remove the extra folder, but thought it might get messy. So reinstall it was.

Coward!

tongue

Anyway, please mark the thread [SOLVED] if you consider it so.

#15 2017-01-29 20:24:38

DarrenHaynes

Coward!

You are funny smile And correct. I was concerned that making that change, even if it worked, wouldn't show signs of trouble at some point later. And right now I want arch up as my development environment asap. I'm learning web development with python, javascript, and want Arch to be my main system

Have learned a lot so far, just getting arch up and running. Happily having fun with i3 right now. I am having trouble permanently setting up a new resolution for my laptop screen, but that's another matter that I have opened up in another thread in the newbie section.

Many thanks!

Board footer