You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-09 03:13:39

kronix

Mythtv and Arch - a few problems

Hi fellow Arch users

I have a few dilemmas I wish to share about Arch and Mythtv and hopefully receive some feedback/answers for.

Some background info:
After trying Fedora, K/Ubuntu, and Zenwalk I settled on ArchLinux for both my main distro and my HTPC (mainly because of the start up speed and the lightweight feeling). I have been using Linux for a month or so now, so my knowledge is not all that great but I have managed to get most programs working with a bit of research. Its just I have a few problems with Mythtv that I am unable to solve.

HTPC Specs
Asrock mATX board (cant remember the model No.)
AMD 1800+ Socket A
512MB RAM
80MB WD 7200RPM
12x DVD ROM
Geforce MX400
DVICO Fusion HDTV Dual PCI

Software
Arch 2.6.16-20(latest available kernel)
KDE (wish to switch to fluxbox when everything is working)
Mythtv + plugins

Questions & Problems:
I've managed to get a functional Mythbox going. The small problems I am having include
1.    No working remote/lirc
2.    I can start mtd but when I press 0 to rip a DVD it does nothing.
3.    when I quit out of mythtv-setup I get an error about ~/recordings/.test is not writable
4.    cant get the 2nd tuner working – I managed to download the dvb-usb-bluebird firmware but I'm unsure where it goes (in Arch)
5.    if I try to make the latest v4l-dvb it say I am missing lsmod or lnmod cant remember which
6.    I get all channels at 10-15% but quality is very good, no hiccups, freezes etc. I cant get one channel though (SBS - I'm in Sydney, Australia)

1.    I haven't really tried yet but any advice would be great
2.    I imagine this might be a permission issue ie I have to run mythbackend under root
3.    doesn't seem to be a problem (yet!)
4.    running dmesg tells me it cant find the firmware for the usb-dvb but the pci part of the card works okay
5.    I managed to compile an older v4l-dvb source (about a month old, the source that is). I didn't need it as everything is built into the 2.6.16 kernel (I was looking for get_usb_firmware but didn't realise I didn't need to compile it to use it)
6.    I know its not my aerial because with a set-top-box I can get all channels including SBS with a signal strength of 80-100%

If anyone can help I will be very grateful and if you require more info and I'll get it to you once I'm near the computer.

Regards

Jarrod

Am I standing too close? Should I proceed to breath out my arse--Charlie Utter, Deadwood

#2 2006-06-09 05:29:40

clarence

Re: Mythtv and Arch - a few problems

Hi. I have the same card and I managed to get the USB part working following the instructions here
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux- … 09869.html

I got the quincy tree and applied the patch attached to the post.

But confusingly/fustratingly, I havent been able to get the pci part working. Can you tell me how you actually got the pci part to work?

Check this post for the Dual remote
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux- … 08469.html

I have a remote that came with a Dvico Plus board for which I have a custom patched and packged version of lirc that works if you need it.

fck art, lets dance.

#3 2006-06-09 06:24:41

kronix

Thanks for the links. I see your usb starts 'warm' while mine says 'cold'. I wounder if that has anything to do with it?

By the time I got the Fusion card I think the driver was already built into the standard kernel (2.6.15) so it is auto loaded/recognised by udev.

Try a pacman -Syu and a restart to see if that fixes you up.

Jarrod

Am I standing too close? Should I proceed to breath out my arse--Charlie Utter, Deadwood

#4 2006-06-09 07:50:03

clarence

Thanks, but that post i linked to wasn't mine wink

BTW, could you please check your dmesg for me and see what frontend gets attached to your pci tuner? Is it a Zarlink mt351 or zl10353?

fck art, lets dance.

#5 2006-06-13 11:19:07

kronix

its the mt351.

I managed to get the usb tuner working but i now have the same problem you do, the pci part is now not working.

#6 2006-06-20 23:24:43

jakep_82

kronix,

You're problem with mtd and ripping DVD's is probably related to permissions.  Make sure your regular user has write permission to whatever directory you have setup in your DVD rip settings.

Write permissions are also why you're getting an error in mythtv-setup, however that error doesn't really matter.  TV shows are recorded by the mythbackend daemon which has root privileges.

Board footer