You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-07 12:00:03

Peter Deranger

SSD getting hot

I think my SSD is getting very hot. My comp is laptop lenovo SL510.
There is absolutely no traffic, almost bare-bone system.                         
Just i3wm, a few terminal windows and temperature goes up to 50°C, then fan kicks in.
The thing is hotter than CPU (41°C).  I believe it's like that since last week.

Am I freaking out?
What's your readings on that?                                                     

sudo hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: ADATA SP900: 48°C

#2 2017-02-07 15:31:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: SSD getting hot

I did some quick poking around and found that commercial grade SDDs range from less than a Watt up to around three Watts. 
I assume this is a 1.8 in drive without cooling provisions.  Between the top and bottom surfaces there are probably 12 sq in of surface area.

For 2 W and 12 sq in, no heatsinks or forced air cooling, the following graph predicts about a 30 degree C rise over ambient for a power density of 0.2W/sq in.
http://electronicdesign.com/site-files/ … ure_01.gif
In this case, ambient is not the room temperature, but rather the temperature inside the case of your computer.   A 2.5 in form factor has more like a 22 sq in area, so the power density would be about half.  Still about a 15 degree C rise.  I'm guessing the temperature inside the case is around 30C; certainly more than 20C. 

41C does not seem out of line.  We test industrial grade SDDs at +85C ambient all the time; of course we have heat spreaders and large heat sinks to keep the rise above ambient such that we keep the temps less than 100C

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-02-07 19:05:19

Peter Deranger

It's 2.5 in drive. ADATA SP900 64GB
http://www.adata.com/en/ssd/specification/171

Where this heat come from? I know it's SSD, but
this thing suppose eat less than 1 watt,
and I'm pretty sure that CPU consume 10x more.
We talking idle of course. Zero load.

I don't remember having this problem a week ago.
I even downgraded kernel to 4.7, but it didn't help.

#4 2017-02-07 20:02:31

seth

iotop?
Can you supend it with hdparm and does that have any impact?
Also: is it a stock device or did you seat it yourself? Some heat trap? D.U.S.T. error?

#5 2017-02-08 19:26:59

Soukyuu

Hmm, well, in my ThinkPad x220 the current hdd temps are:

/dev/sda: CT250BX100SSD1: 34°C
/dev/sdb: TS128GMSA370: 35°C

System is pretty much idle, but the fan is spinning as it usually does when the system is docked...
CPU temp is at ~50°C

I have heard complaints about some SSDs getting rather hot under load, however, I have not experienced that myself with the ones I had so far (Crucial/Sandisk/Transcend)

Last edited by Soukyuu (2017-02-08 19:27:49)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#6 2017-02-10 00:01:39

Peter Deranger

seth wrote:

iotop?

Almost no activity.

seth wrote:

Can you supend it with hdparm and does that have any impact?

Donn't know how. Besides hdparm is labeled DANGEROUS, so I'm scared (noobish thing xD) 

seth wrote:

Also: is it a stock device or did you seat it yourself?

It's my doing. Old hdd is in DVD bay now.

seth wrote:

Some heat trap?

Good hint.
I removed padding frame from SSD. There is more room for air now, so temperature is rising slower a little bit.
And easeier to cool down when fan spinning. I don't consider it solved, thou. Thanks anyway.
Similar frame but mine is thicker.
http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets … s_ndtv.jpg

seth wrote:

D.U.S.T. error?

What is that?

Soukyuu wrote:
/dev/sda: CT250BX100SSD1: 34°C
/dev/sdb: TS128GMSA370: 35°C

System is pretty much idle, but the fan is spinning as it usually does when the system is docked...
CPU temp is at ~50°C

Spinning all the time? Must be some heavy DE. Your numbers looks better anyway.
My readings are opposite (with fan)
CPU 36°C
SDD 46°C

I've booted my backup system from pendrive, which wasn't upgraded over a month.
Same thing, so it's not upgrade issue.
Funny, i didn't even mounted the drive and it's heating up. This thing is like a free energy stuff – 0.5 watt in, lots of heat out.

#7 2017-02-10 01:03:23

ewaller
Administrator

Peter Deranger wrote:

This thing is like conservation of energy– 0.5 watt (energy/second) in, lots of heat (0.5W)out at equilibrium.

FTFY

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2017-02-10 08:17:10

seth

Peter Deranger wrote:

What is that?

You would have seen ;-)
(Sometimes the temperature management gets broken by all the gross stuff that can accumulate in a supposingly closed system...)

Theses will set the disk to suspend resp. sleep, but there's no guarantee this has any impact on SSDs (nor is there any guarantee the devices firmware isn't utterly broken and the device responds with weird actions)

hdparm -y /dev/sda
hdparm -Y /dev/sda

It has no real impact if the disk is currently in use.

hdparm -S 60 /dev/sda

Will set the autosleep timeout to 5 minutes (the value is complicated, consult the hdparm manpage on its meaning before playing around with it)

Board footer