You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-08 02:20:06

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Android Development under Arch Question

Good evening fellow Archers,

I work as a volunteer at the local Veterans Hospital here in Denver. I am an old USMC vet myself, and a retired sys admin/C++ application developer - but I still dabble in coding. I've done software for our laboratory at the VA before, so I am aware of the internal VA approval processes I need to go through. I've been a volunteer there for three years now. Currently I work in the Infusion Clinic (Chemotherapy is the lions share of our patients)

The charge nurse is asking me to develop an acuity software specific and unique to our Infusion Clinic at the VA. The Acuity software in layman's terms is basically a load-balancing software that schedules patients and their care load between the nurses to balance the workload evenly, not overload any one nurse/treatment room, and minimize wait time/maximize care for our patients. I see a small database in this app. The workload can vary from a 15 minute port flush (medical term), to an 8+ hour chemotherapy infusion.

The charge nurse has already given me a lot of documentation on what she wants the software to do, and the criteria for the software to make it's decisions. So it will be the charge nurses logic that I simply transfer into a functional application.

It appears that initially it would be best to put this on an Android tablet, or a tablet where I wipe the OS off of it, and go with some flavor of mainstream linux on the tablet. I say Android, because Windows 10 is not allowed on network at the VA because it violates HIPPA requirements. That's the formal position of the local VA's IT department at the moment. I am not a Windows fan anyway even if Windows did meet HIPPA. I prefer Linux. I am not an Apple fan so I am not looking to put this solution on an iPad. Ref: http://www.hippa.com/

I am quite familiar with application and GUI development for the desktop - that's what I've done for decades in the BAS industry. But I've never done anything for the Android OS. I do not know if it is a secure OS thus meeting HIPPA requirements for patient privacy. Neither do I know if it has the same nasty/unethical Windows 10 habit of data mining and sending sensitive information out in the Cloud which the VA will not allow.

I see that Android has it's own development kit here in the Arch package repo, and so I would use their IDE/etc. The IDE's I have used is Code::Blocks w/wxWidgets, and the QT toolkit. I find plain jane C++ to be easier than QT so I prefer Code::Blocks - but I will have to adapt to whatever paradigm I am presented with in Android Development Toolkit.

If anyone has done Android development out there I would be appreciative for any information you can push my direction, and if there are any pitfalls, boy, I'd sure be appreciative if someone would point them out to me before I dive in.

So I'm asking for pointers, URL's, personal experience, etc.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2017-02-16 05:55:01)

#2 2017-02-08 12:20:06

xvzf

Re: [SOLVED] Android Development under Arch Question

Hi Dave,

I had a lecture about Android Security this semester. I used Arch for App development and System development.
However - The Android GUI Framework is based on Java (ugly programming language in my opinion) and not that easy to dig into.
I would suggest you try android-studio (available in the AUR) and give it a try. There is no lecture which I could recommend you start with. Learning by doing is by far the easiest approach.

Cheers,
Matthias

#3 2017-02-08 16:15:16

dcbdbis

Re: [SOLVED] Android Development under Arch Question

Thank you for the reply,

So am I to assume that Android Security is suitable? I know that no device is truly secure in today's Big Brother Orwellian society - . But how is the security of said Android devices? As good as a basic Arch Linux install with a firewall?

And thank you for the suggested package in the AUR. I appreciate it. And I agree - java is a nasty language. I have had to do two java apps in my career - and I did not like it one bit. I will NOT develop in Java if that is the only choice in the Android SDK - I'll wipe the device first and put a linux distro on it.

Thanks again!

Dave...

Board footer