You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-09 13:07:01

altermetax

GNOME Wayland crashing on startup

Hello everyone, I'm running GNOME 3.22.2 (extra/gnome-shell 3.22.2+18+gdf7727a-1 in pacman, latest version). It crashes if I start the "GNOME" session, but doesn't when starting "GNOME Classic" or "GNOME Xorg". If I select "GNOME", insert the password and hit the Login button, I just get the display manager to disappear for a second and reappear, letting me choose a user.
Should I install something? Why is this happening?

#2 2017-02-09 14:50:59

c00ter

Re: GNOME Wayland crashing on startup

It happens because Wayland is not yet ready for general use. This is not news.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2017-02-09 16:15:32

Omar007

c00ter wrote:

That's mostly a matter of personal opinion. Imo Wayland is perfectly fine for general use.
Only some weird edge cases may present some problems but I can't think of any atm, nor can I think of any problems I have personally experienced with Wayland.
(personally I have plenty to name on Xorg...)

Opinions aside, to use Wayland you need a driver that supports KMS as well as a compositor that supports the API that the driver used. The compositor being Gnome (mutter) in this case.
For now that leaves you with basically only the open-source drivers as an option.
With the release of Gnome 3.24 it should also support the nVidia driver (which uses EGL Streams instead of GBM) but I have personally not yet been able to get that to work in the few times I have tried.

Last edited by Omar007 (2017-02-09 16:19:56)

#4 2017-02-09 19:06:40

c00ter

Omar007 wrote:
c00ter wrote:

That's mostly a matter of personal opinion. Imo Wayland is perfectly fine for general use.

I am not stating that Wayland--when it is indeed ready--won't be superior to old, strung-out Xorg. I'm sure it will be from what I have read. What I am stating is that for at least the past three months the most common complaint on these boards regarding GNOME has been Wayland-related, and the most common remedy has been to use tried and true Xorg. This is all anecdotal, based solely on my recollection of reading these forums daily. Accept it or not, as you wish.

In the meantime--how 'bout them Cubs? big_smile

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#5 2017-02-09 19:16:24

loqs

What is the output from the journal for gdm.service from a boot where the issue occurs?

#6 2017-02-16 13:12:53

hpstg

I have the exact same issue. Unless I disable wayland in GDM and login to a Xorg session, everything freezes seconds after logging in. It does the same with the stock kernel, the ck kernel, and both the open source radeon and amdgpu drivers. It has been like this until at least Gnome 3.18. This is what I get.

/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2776]: (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Operation not permitted
/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2776]: (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_SETMODE failed: Operation not permitted
/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2776]: (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Operation not permitted
/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[2776]: (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
acpid[1008]: 1 client rule loaded

Board footer