You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-09 21:28:52

Cobra

php broken since upgrade 7.0.14 -> 7.1.1-1

This might sound a little weird because I have no clue what's exactly wrong with the package, but I've had some issues with webapps failing to read json messages. My logs were riddled with json_decode errors, invalid this, invalid that errors, you name it. A couple of examples:

E_WARNING: get_object_vars() expects parameter 1 to be object, null given.......
ERROR: Uncaught Exception Error: "Call to undefined function
ERROR: Json::decode():Syntax error, malformed JSON [] []

Most of them had something to do with bad parsing of json though.

At first I thought it was the webapp, tried restarting services as httpd (all fine), checking for module errors (all fine), and finally reverting to older and older backups, restoring older and older database dumps, up to the point where I was just sure it couldn't be the webapp. I've been running everything fine for years, until ~ january 18th 2017, when I my logs started filling up with errors. Around that period I must have updated to the latest php. Sure enough, when I checked /var/cache/pacman/pkg for the latest php version, that's the date I installed the newest version.

I reverted to an older version I had in cache, php 7.0.14 (with all the corresponding modules like php-gd , mcrypt etc...), restarted httpd and voila, everything running smoothly again. I reverted to my most recent webapp backups and sure enough, everything still okay! So pretty sure php is at fault here.

So how does this work? Someone forgot to compile with json support enabled? How does this get reported upstream? Thanks for your time, at least I hope this gets somebody on the right track if they ever get in the same situation. smile Good luck.

*edit: maybe some more info about my machine (if anyone would want to know):

22-$> cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
MemTotal:        2053320 kB
MemFree:          758072 kB
MemAvailable:    1569400 kB
23-$> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name" | awk -F':' '{print $2}'
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz
24-$> uname -a
Linux MYHOSTNAME 4.9.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 1 19:33:40 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by Cobra (2017-02-09 21:47:00)

#2 2017-02-09 21:46:30

Slithery
Administrator

Re: php broken since upgrade 7.0.14 -> 7.1.1-1

PHP isn't broken, your webapps just haven't been made compatible with the new version yet; they need to be fixed upstream so that they work correctly with 7.1. There is a php70 package in the AUR so you can have both versions installed at the same time rather than holding back upgrades.

Search the forums, there have been plenty of threads about this since 7.1 was released.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-02-09 21:49:07)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-02-09 21:53:27

Cobra

Re: php broken since upgrade 7.0.14 -> 7.1.1-1

slithery wrote:

PHP isn't broken, your webapps just haven't been made compatible with the new version yet; they need to be fixed upstream so that they work correctly with 7.1. There is a php70 package in the AUR so you can have both versions installed at the same time rather than holding back upgrades.

Search the forums, there have been plenty of threads about this since 7.1 was released.

Hi Slithery, I agree, holding back upgrades is not the way to go. But at least it makes things running again until the devs have had the time to fix the app. I didn't realize the problem was known, I googled for the errors I received, but they didn't point to php7.1 to be the reason. I also try to catch up with the news on the archlinux.org homepage before I upgrade so I don't run into problems like this. The latest php related message was this one (didn't have problems with that release)

2016-01-02
    PHP 7.0 packages released

Kinda feel like they should have bothered to warn users about this 7.1.1 update as well. I'll have a look at relevant threads in other subforums, because I can't seem to find any in the "package upgrade issues" subforum. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Cobra (2017-02-09 21:58:37)

Board footer