You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-12 13:20:38

Galdona

help, vague nvidia instructions

the nvidia article in the wiki says this:

"Add nvidia to /etc/rc.conf MODULES section (not needed anymore if you run xorg and udev). Needed for nvidia-legacy and kernel >=2.6.13!"

I run xorg and udev, but i also run nvidia-legacy. do in need to put nvidia in the MODULES section in rc.conf?

it can be understood several ways. does a statement that come last take precedence over others? Does the "and" in "nvidia-legacy and kernel >=2.6.13!" mean "only if both conditions are true"?

it also says in the wiki that the above is a workaround for having to reinstall nvidia after a kernel update. it says to put it in the MODULES section. Does that have the same effect as putting it in the daemons array?

#2 2006-06-12 14:04:08

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: help, vague nvidia instructions

Putting nvidia in the MODULES array loads the nvidia module at bootup.  Even if you're using xorg/udev this won't hurt - it just loads the module before you need it, which is fine.

The nvidia DAEMONS array entry is something altogether different, and I don't think it's necessary anymore with the newest nvidia packages, due to a change in the way packaging occurs.

#3 2006-06-12 16:42:52

Moo-Crumpus

imho the daemon was used to reinstall nvidia if the module wasn't available, which happened after kernel updates as long as we used to use the nvidia installer wrapped into a pkgbuild. Now no longer needed.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2006-06-12 18:21:34

Galdona

ok cool, thanks.

Board footer