You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-15 12:47:54

migle

[Solved] Gnome applications responding slowly to keyboard events

Since the last couple of weeks (maybe since the update to kernel 4.9.6-1-ARCH which I was expecting eagerly), gnome on my PC is responding very slowly to keyboard events.

First, I thought the keyboard might be broken. My two year-old was repeatedly caught climbing the desk and jumping on top of it. However, then it became clear that I couldn't type an email message in evolution. Many keystrokes were eaten altogether, and I had to type the messages in a text editor and paste them into evolution.

Briefly, symptoms are:

• Gnome applications respond very slowly to keystrokes. If a key is kept pressed, and therefore repeated, the screen is only updated after the key is released again. This happens in evolution (header fields), epiphany, gedit and even gvim. Not so much on gnome-terminal, but still.

• In the evolution message composition window, some keystrokes are lost altogether. This happens systematically, that is, it is as though some keys didn't work at all. Maybe f, n, j work and a, s and others never work.

• There is no delay at all responding to gnome shell key combinations (switch workspace, etc).

• Non-gnome applications are not affected. Chromium works, KDE applications, such as kwrite, work.

• After the PC is on for a couple of hours, sometimes things begin to work as expected.

I'm having some issues with slow screen updates, but still, things work. I'm on HiDPI and AMD card using either amdgpu or radeon. I had to downgrade webkit2gtk due to this other issue but I was having this issue before that. Otherwise, my system is fully updated with very little packages installed from the AUR, leaf packages only.

Here is a journal since the last boot, which shows hardware and also me running a few applications while the problem was ocurring. I see nothing there, and I'm out of clues.

Last edited by migle (2017-03-16 09:53:53)

#2 2017-03-16 09:53:41

migle

Re: [Solved] Gnome applications responding slowly to keyboard events

I ended up resolving the issue a few days later (should have posted before). What I did was starting to downgrade all packages on which gnome-desktop depended. That included gtk3, libxkbfile, xkeyboard-config, etc... And things did start working as expected.

After that, I upgraded those packages again, and things remained working... So, probably it was the entropy accumulated on my system that caused the problem.

Board footer